Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Quoted - Globe & Mail front page

Remember that little "exploding laptop" story that occupied my time at work last week? Well, dawn broke today with some good news: Canada's largest newspaper is running a front-page story on the issue. I'm quoted in it, and a competing research firm essentially confirms our original perspective on the topic.

It's called Laptops have been really hot lately. Byline is Alex Dobrota. I'll try to get a page scan uploaded later.

Fun stuff!

Your turn: Does your laptop run hot? Has this ever caused a problem or a concern?

Update: Other papers have picked the piece up: The Seattle Post-Intelligencer and the Redding Record Searchlight

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

yes yes yes the laptop gets really hot... what's up with that? i have it on a platform so that it's raised up and gets air under it... i usually shut it down when it gets too hot.....

Canadian Mark said...

I don't use the laptop myself, as I enjoy the power of a desktop PC, but I know somebody with discoloured thighs (burns?), which appeared within a week of getting their Compaq notebook.

Scary stuff, if you ask me.

Karen said...

Great headline! Well, since they only laptop we have at home, often can't find it's own hard drive (I know, there's a joke in there), I cannot answer your question. But, I'm certain that there are many, many bloggers who could heat a small cabin with theirs!

Happy Wednesday, Carmi! Hope you're doing well!

Diane said...

Congratulations on the quote, and yes, my laptop definitely runs hot (it's a Compaq). I never actually use it on my lap for that very reason.

Anonymous said...

Yes my laptop does get hot. I don't put it on my lap ever. Wonder if those little cooling pad thins really work?

Anonymous said...

I don't have a laptop but My Honey has one for work and it gets really hot. Yes it worries me. Not sure about him though, I think it does.

srp said...

Here from Michele.

I don't have a laptop, Nyssa's sometimes feels a little hot, not bad. I was amazed to note that my tiny digital camera with the rechargable battery starts feeling hot with moderate use. Who knew and has anyone noted any problems with those batteries?