Monday, December 03, 2007

Caption This 47


Please caption this image
[Click here for instructions on how Caption This works]

London, ON, October 2007 [Click to embiggen]


Some days, it pays to look down. While attending the groundbreaking ceremonies for our children's new school (big, exciting news in our community - more entries on that in the months to come) I found myself taking pictures (huge surprise, I know) of the usual scenes: shovels, speeches, audience, site. It was an exciting, memorable day for everyone who attended.

Yet, for reasons I still don't fully understand, I realized toward the end of the event that I hadn't taken any artsy photos that day. I haven't fulfilled my photographic destiny unless I've pointed the lens at something strange, something that would prompt ridicule from passersby.

So I took a picture of a flower - some would say weed, but I choose not to - that no longer exists, blown into oblivion by the winds of autumn, with a little help from the backhoe that turned the site into a mud flat in the days after this photo was taken.

But this moment will persist for as long as I can remember it, thanks to my little addiction.

Your turn: Please name this photo. Submit as many creative captions as you wish: I get excited when I see multiple submissions from folks. I'll announce the winner next week.

About last week's image of planes at the airport in Toronto: This was a very quiet, personal moment for me. I don't just walk aimlessly through airports. Rather, I traverse them slowly and deliberately, trying to remember how it felt to be there. Travel is a privilege, and the airport is a critical waypoint on any long journey: I want my photos from these places to capture those feelings.

Many of you captured these feelings with great precision in your entries. Anne's closely reflected what I felt at that moment: "They just waltzed around with their tails in the air like they owned the place."

Honorable mentions go to these great folks:
  • Vickiev: "Grounded"
  • John: "Coming and going."
  • Rashbre: "Turn this crazy bird around."
  • Omykiss: "Caption: No parking spaces left."
  • Sara: "Even when we're up in the air - we are still at home."
  • Thumper: "Fly the friendly skies, eh?"
  • Joan, Bubblehead: "Leavin' on a jet plane."
  • JC: "One way ticket to paradise, please."
  • Wordnerd: "Home is in plane view."
  • Awareness: "Precious cargo coming and going."
  • Robin: "You can take the man out of his country, but you can't take the country out of the man."
Have fun with it this week. More to come...

32 comments:

HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

Portrait of my heart...

kenju said...

I'm no good at captions, Carmi, but I do like dandelions!

Omykiss said...

you've inspired me to try again ... thanks

'a promise of more to come ...'

Carola said...

Fully Loaded Seed Missile Attacking Machine...

Just wait for that wind to pick up...

Nice one Carmi - i've got one of these on my camera I should upload!

Carola said...

Fully Loaded Seed Missile Attacking Machine...

Just waiting for that wind to come back around...

Nice one Carmi! I've got one of these on my camera I should upload!

Lil Knitter said...

"Make a wish"
That was the first thing that came to mind. I remember when I was a little girl, we would make a wish and then blow all the little "stars" off the dandelion...like a birthday candle. Okay, it's kinda silly but we did that.

Jan Scholl said...

Geodesic

Robin ~ PENSIEVE said...

"The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind..." (btw, what's the question?)

"Here today, gone tomorrow."

(These are rather pedestrian, but they're the first thoughts I had...creativity comes as I leave the image and it comes back to mind...I'll be back, in other words ;) ).

Robin @ PENSIEVE

Robin ~ PENSIEVE said...

(I cannot believe I'm about to post this next one, but it's too funny not to. I'll totally understand if you decide NOT to approve it, but I hope it gives you a giggle. It shows how demented I can be when it comes to captioning a photo. And I PROMISE, I'm not as profane as this sounds...(praying..."please see the humor, please see the humor...!").

"Blow job"

Anne said...

"Make a wish."

woohoo! Top nods to me for last week........

Sorry, back to humbleness.

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

Rachel said...

Beautiful.

"Now I am here, I am one, but with a slight breeze I shall be many, travelling on the wings of the world"

JC said...

Huddled up...
before the break.

Nestor Family said...

Melanie and Anne already took mine... "Make a Wish" -It looks like I was not the only one to blow on dandelions and make wishes as a girl... and now I have got my sons doing it, too!

Beautiful photo, Carmi... maybe it could be captioned "The Ugly Duckling is the Beautiful Swan in this Photo."

John said...

"They sat at their terminals awaiting clearance for take-off."

Tabor said...

Ok, I'll ply.

Puffy potential.

or

Missed one!

Linda said...

Oh, but for the love (and breath) of a child, I sit here alone, abandoned.


Hi Carmi! Yes, I'm still hanging around....just lurking lately! BTW - your name may be unique, but at least it can be spelled without apostrophes!

Robin said...

Got another...

"Batteries not required."

Robin @ PENSIEVE

Slim said...

"Sometimes it's okay to give into temptation..."

awareness said...

wishful thinking.......


summer breeze wishes.....

one of a kind wish.....

awareness said...

did you know faeries live in the head of a dandelion? And when you blow on the white fluff, you send the faeries off to discover new horizons......

Anne said...

We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing before we scatter to the all corners of the world.

spwriter said...

"The boys of summer..."
"Queued Tip"
"King of the suburban jungle"
"Awaiting Orders"
"About to be selected by the draft..."
"Breeze Wanted"
"Multiplication Able"
"The Long Last Goodbye"
"No, YOU go first..."

(You did say the more the merrier, right?)

I found your blog via a comment at a friend's site. Then I found myself enjoying your way with words. Then I had to fight writerly jealousy. Then I considered plotting your bloggish demise. Then I wondered if I could hijack your blog and put my picture in the corner and then invent a device that would wipe the memories of all who'd been here and after I powered it up (I think there'd be a low thrumming sound, like a panther's purr) I would sip champagne and smile a sly smile and await the flood of hyperbolic comments like "Gosh, Steve, your blog is the greatest" and "Jeepers, Steve, every one of your posts is near brilliant" and (from a select few) "Hey, Steve, I want to have your children."

Then I took a virtual Prozac.

Oh look, a dandelion...

Beverly said...

I don't have a caption, but it reminds me of being with Ella when we went out in the yard and picked some and then blew on them. I'm sure the neighbors loved it too.

Dak-Ind said...

"Not on MY Lawn!"

actually, we have several of these wonderful little guys growing around the park across from our home. all summer long Indy tracks them down and gives them a good blow... and then waves them around, then brings them to me because (as he says) "mama blows good". the first time he said that in front of people i turned scarlet and about died. my husband just choked and went home.

PastormacsAnn said...

Awesome photo.

"Awaiting the sacred breath of freedom..."

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

here today, gone tomorrow!!!

i have been busy at my end, Carmi and i generally quickly come and check posts here as i need my regular fix of your pics ...I may not leave a comment but I do drop around :)

Happy holidays to you and your fmaily :)

Kerri Farley said...

"I'm Blown Away".

Ok - I'm not very good at this...but I sure do appreciate your comments on my blog!

Shephard said...

Name the photo...

I think I would name the photo "Quite the Dandy."

Love the softness of the subject contrasted with the crips capture.

Michele sent me back again to make sure you were feeling festive.

~S

Leah said...

i love this game Carmi. I love your photo as usual.

"Blow away and we'll go places"

http://mga-munimuni.com/

Marsha said...

it was just fine and dandy until someone blew it!

Wvrent said...

Ready to Launch