Please caption this image
[Click here for instructions on how Caption This works]
London, ON, November 2007 [Click to embiggen]
The candle's soft light is one of my earliest memories. My mom lit them every Friday night for Shabbat, and I remember watching the dancing yellow glow long after everyone had finished supper and gone off to do their own thing. To me, the light was the thing. I found it comforting, something to look forward to every week as we transitioned into the weekend.
My mother still lights the candles in her home, as does my wife in ours. I still stare at them and think back to the four-year-old me. I wonder what goes through others' minds as they look into a candle's light.
Your turn: I guess now's your chance to share just that. Please leave a suggested caption - or ten - in a comment and I'll post the winner next week.
About last week's photo of a fly: This was a fun one for me. I debated whether I should post it or not. But since I had recently broken the ice with the dead rodent pic, I figured everyone who visits was already used to seeing my twisted side. In the end, I had a hard time choosing because there were so many submissions that made me laugh out loud.
But I had to choose one, and Bubblehead's stood out as particularly unique: "The original frequent flyer." Please drop by his blog, Hu-Flung-Poo, and congratulate him.
Honorable mentions go to these very creative folks:
- Gautami Tripathy: "Would you like to land on my soup?"
- Moi: "What's all this buzz about!"
- Robin: ""Secret Ingredient" and "No shoes, no shirt, no service"
- Dara: "What Jeff Goldblum has been up to lately..."
- D. Sinclair: "Time flies"
- SPWriter: "Wings and a prayer"
- Bob-kat: "I may be small but my plan for world domination is right on schedule"
- Joan: "Don't you wish YOU could be the fly on the wall?"
- Paige: "Now I lay me down to sleep...Cause a big ol' fly swatter is coming"
- Blond Girl: "This is the way we wash our hands, wash our hands, wash our hands...."
- Jilly Bean: "Too close for comfort"
- Awareness: "Straighten up and fly right..."
- John: "I said I wanted a large FRY with that..."
- Sara: "Ain't no flies on me"
- Kerri: "Times Fun when You're Having Flies"
- Snaggle Tooth: "Waiting to be served"