Sunday, March 09, 2008

Caption This 61

Please caption this image
[Click here for instructions on how Caption This works]

London, Ontario
December 2007
[Click to embiggen]

It wasn't so long ago that open flame was how we lit and heated our homes. It's easy for us, in our technologically-driven sense of superiority over the basic elements of life, to forget that we're barely three generations removed from the turning point in history when electricity became commonly available.

Now, of course, we're useless without our Alternating Current fix, but that's a whole other area of discussion.

These days, we light candles to celebrate, to remember, and to set a certain tone. We may flip a switch to keep the cold outside world at bay, but we still find magic in the soft, flickering glow of a candle.

Your turn: Please share a caption for this image. Enter as often as you wish and don't hesitate to bug your in-laws for an idea or two. For all I know, they still remember using candles to study, or whatever else they did back in the Dark Ages. What would they call this image?

About last week's photo of a bunch of bananas: You never know when I'll pull a fruity photo out of my hat. Thanks to my aunt for loaning me the bananas. And thanks to Sage for penning the brilliant, The making of a republic. Lots of great honorable menschens this week:
  • Robin: "Monkey business" and "Yellow slick road."
  • Frankie; "And with the softening of this fruit, we shed the peels of our lives."
  • Lissa: "Global A-peel" (which also wins the groaner of the week!)
  • Marisa: "They call me mellow yellow."
  • Melissa: "Little. Yellow. Tasty."
  • Kismet. "Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas."
Okay, I'll stop talking now. Start captioning...now!

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once read a book entitled, "A World Lit Only By Fire." Good stuff. As for a caption, how about:

The March Of Time.

For increasing numbers of candles on the cake.

Cheers from Michele.

kenju said...

"This little light of mine....I'm gonna' let it shine..."

spwriter said...

Still. LIfe.

My Friends Flicker.

Time machine.

Illumine Nation.

Unpaid electric bill.

Light switch.

What Thomas Edison used to illuminate his workshop.

(and for those of us who try to fit too much into our days and nights..)

What burning a candle at one end looks like.

Carletta said...

"Flames of Faith and Hope"

Anonymous said...

Hey Carmi ~

Thanks for the menschenries :).

For this week? Hmmmm...

Lighten up.

Fire forest.

Light, bright.

Just add cake.

awareness said...

It only takes a spark to keep the fire burning....

Light of my life

Flickering warmth

Make a wish

turn on your heart light

light a little prayer

light my fire

whispering embers

Michelle sent me......but I would've found your light all on my own.

have a wonderful illuminating week Carmi.

awareness said...

melting one icicle at a time.....

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh, Carmi! I just thought of another one I've used before for a very different picture; but it fits here, too...just PLEASE don't ban me or think I'm awful.

Put your hands over your children's eyes....

(I so wish I knew how to make a teeny-tiny font in comments to I could sneak this in....)

Blow job

(running and hiding...NOW!!!

O:)

Sleepypete said...

"Energy crisis solved as successor to energy saving bulb unveiled"

(maybe my first thought of "Energy crisis solved ! Let's go retro" was snappier ;-)

PS Don't worry about that typo - and many thanks for the immediate admission :-) I'd never have noticed ;-)

Anonymous said...

Back w/a few more...

Wish makers

Party lights

Party toppers

Anonymous said...

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

kenju said...

Michele sent me back to read the other's captions, Carmi. You got some good ones.

spwriter said...

(Okay, a few more to keep up with Robin...though I'm NOT going to try and compete with that...um...shield-your-eyes suggestion.)

Paraffinity

Emergency lights

Dripzone

D-light-full.

Picture flames

"Queue the lights..."

Wicky

Blow torches

Anonymous said...

Private Disco Inferno

You light up my world

Candles with no wind

Ummm happy birthday to you

Sara said...

come on baby light my fire

Anonymous said...

- my first though is the not original "better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"

- If you try to hide these lights under a bushel, I hope you have the fire department on speed-dial!

- Baruch ata adonai...

- the blessing of candles

Anonymous said...

I am not that poetic.

Looks like alien cone heads to me.

Beam me up Scotty?

Omykiss said...

... and there WAS light.

me said...

I'd like to teach the world to sing

Keep the home fires burning

b13 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne said...

Friday Night Lights.

Anonymous said...

How do you decide to light the house?
By the process of illumination!

b13 said...

Together we can illuminate a cavern. But even one can light the way.

BreadBox said...

Light, melting

Vanessa said...

peep show: you can look but you can't touch

Anonymous said...

Jesus is the Light
Surprise!
Make a Wish

Gloria said...

I'm not good at this but how about

"The Light Will Always Guide You".
or
"The Flicker of Time".

Tiel Aisha Ansari said...

Candle not in the wind

ANOTHER goddamn birthday!?

Burn baby burn!

Waxing eloquent (that's more like a meta-caption)

Candle in the window

Post tech light bulbs

Anonymous said...

It was a dark and stormy night. One heart stopping crack and the whole house fell into darkness except for Tarquin's birthday candles on the cake!