Saturday, March 08, 2008

Let's talk about the weather


This afternoon's view from my window
London, ON, March 2007 [Click all images to embiggen]


Few topics have the potential to bring commonality to strangers as the weather. When you take a bunch of folks who have never met each other and stick them in the same room, chances are
they'll be sharing perspectives on Ma Nature before long. Inevitably, the air will fill with good natured bitching before they head back to their usual routine.

Or so I've been told.

I had grave fears about pulling the wondercamera out of its bag in the middle of a raging blizzard. So I did the next best thing: I got out my trusty bottle of Windex and walked around the house, shooting randomly out the window. Here's the pastoral scene in our back yard. Makes you want to break out the big wooly blankets, doesn't it?

Your turn: Look out your window and tell us what you see. Don't overthink it...

One more thing: My tax dollars support many things, including a bunch of unelected senators who travel the country, pretending to "consult" with important people on important "policy issues" when in reality they're just sucking on the public teat until they die. But sometimes, the government does something useful, like fund some funky weather services and make the super-detailed results available on the Interweb (you know, the thing made of tubes.) I've posted a screen grab of the radar picture from earlier this evening. Kinda looks like a ginormous hand, smacking the dickens out of the region, doesn't it?

16 comments:

Suzanne said...

It looks very cold in any event!! Brr.
I always say the best way to get the weather report is to open the door and just walk outside, because the news never seems to get it right around here.

kenju said...

It's dark here now, carmi, so I can't see much. But we don't have snow; it was raining this morning, and all day it has been very windy, but warm (in the high 50's -low 60's).

awareness said...

Pitch black!! We seem to be missing out on the snow....it's north of us. I think northern NB is going to get over 40cm!

However......freezing rain and rain is slamming it's racket on the windows.....the wind is whipping up the mess.

Here's to Canada in March!! Yipppeee.

Deana said...

Gosh you guys just have snow for sooo long! I am ready for spring!

Anonymous said...

outside my window last night, today, and tonight it is wet, wet, wet, and (wait for it!) wet. Mud season is upon us with a vengeance.

D.O.M. Dan said...

It's getting dark now (7:00 p.m.) but less than an hour ago, the sun was setting in the Los Angeles area, where the high this afternoon was about 80 degrees fahrenheit. It was sunny and clear, and a beautiful summer day. (or is it still spring? I forget, as I live in Southern California) By the way, I'm wearing shorts and the front door is open to let fresh air in the house. Canadians - please don't hate me.

Andi said...

Hope your weather gets better soon. I wonder if people talk about the weather as much where it is always nice. Michele sent me.

gautami tripathy said...

Out of my window, I see the Sun staring out squarely into my eyes. Boy, is it hot?

We are going to have a very bad summer this year.

Here from Michele's. Thanks for the out of turn visit!

:D

JustACliche said...

I see snow. I live under that hand also. I had to push it away with my back door to let the dog out this a.m. I'd say we have over a foot of the stuff. I am ready for Spring.
(aka heidi)

JustACliche said...

I see snow. I live under that hand also. Had to push the snow out of the way with the door this morning to let the dog out. I'd say over a foot of that stuff here. I'm ready for Spring.

Beverly said...

On Saturday I went with my son and his wife to Richmond VA. Sabrina had a lunch date with some of her former and present co-workers. When we got there, it was cloudy, then sunny, then windy, then warm, all within an hour's span.

But what did I see? Daffodils blooming in the neighbor's front yard, whitebud popping out (I think it was whitebud.) On the way back to David's, about 90 miles west, the temperature dropped about 20 degrees.

I said to David, "the thermometer says it's 32."

"No, mom, it can't be that cold."

But when we opened the car door, guess what! It was.

Anonymous said...

I'm at my office and outside my window at the moment is the roof of my neighbor's building. Not the best of views, but at least it keeps me from excessive day-dreaming.

Cheers.

lissa said...

You guys should see it here - yesterday was dubbed The Craziest Day of the Year by more than one, and today people are begging to park in strangers' driveways because the streets have been reduced to bike-path proportions. My kids are cautiously optimistic that first day back after Spring Break will be a snow day...dream on, boys!

What caught my eye about your post was that snippet about grabbing the Windex to take the photo. I think it's time to get the hubby into photography....

Stay safe and warm, guys!

HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

Yes it does. I'm hoping we're done with snow for the season, but I live in New England. I'm sure there will be more.
Here via Michele right now.

aprilbapryll said...

It's cold here ... well, for us in Florida - around 40-50. But this is what I see when I look out my window. He seems to be enjoying the sun anyhow, eh?

Jason Roth said...

Looks and sounds too cold for me. Of course, I'm a big wuss when it comes to cold weather. I've actually never seen snow fall from the sky...in my entire 33 years. Is that weird?