Monday, March 03, 2008

I don't like Mondays


Up, up and away
London, Ontario, August 2007 [Click to embiggen]


I've never been particularly fond of Mondays. I enjoy the quiet of weekends, and as much as I love the work that I do, there's something daunting about standing at the precipice of a new week, with all those days of potential hanging out there.

I know that compared to others, I have it ridiculously easy. I don't work a seven-day week and I don't spend my days thousands of feet below the surface of the earth, breathing coal dust and wondering if I'll ever again see the light of day. I press spring-loaded keys for a living, assembling words on a screen and occasionally talking to people far away to get the information I need to keep assembling those words. The most laborious part of my day involves walking the dog or heading down to the gym for a workout. My workweek isn't backbreaking, so I shouldn't shun Mondays as I do.

But I'm a creature of habit, and I don't enjoy going to sleep on Sunday night, knowing what lies ahead of me when the sun comes back up.

So to help ease the transition back into a higher gear of life, I look for little snippets of brightness, color and perspective.

Your turn: Bob Geldof and his Boomtown Rats notwithstanding, where do you stand on Mondays? Why?

One more thing: We're still captioning. Click here to dive in head-first without a helmet.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with Bob. I wanna shoo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooot the whole day down.

I love how you describe your job, Carmi.

tommie said...

Mondays are my "house blessing" day...the day I do a quick two hour clean-the-whole-house day. Since I love that fresh smell of it, I almost kind of like it. I get the kids off to school, a quick workout, then off to bless my house. I am probably the only person I know who does like Monday!

Hope yours was okay enough today.

Anna said...

Love those colors Carmi!

Jef said...

I don't have an issue with Monday so much as Sunday night. The close of the weekend brings the realization of all the things I want to do that won't be completed before bedtime. I feel like a clock is ticking and I have to hurry to save spectators before the bomb goes. Then again, maybe it's just me.

I like this house blessing idea that Tommie mentioned.

kenju said...

What I have to do for the rest of the week determines how I attack Mondays - or not. Some of them are just good for sleeping in, and others are a day to get started on what lies ahead.

Mark said...

Monday robs us of our individuality and our freedom, in a nutshell.

lissa said...

Mondays, to me, are like mornings. Any morning. Night time is my sacred time (yes, Louis Armstrong got it right when he sang about "dark sacred night" - that's my motto). Night times are when things quiet down and pressure's off. Or night time's when I get my best work done (depends on deadlines). But morning will come and the phone will ring again and the Outside World will invade the cocoon.

I don't particularly hate Mondays - while I love my kids more than life itself, they return to school Mondays (ped days and holidays notwithstanding) and I can have the quiet of the house to either work uninterrupted or relax with a movie.

I actually see Monday as a soothing predictability...you know it'll always roll around.

But I don't see it as the bugaboo everyone seems to assign it - I never have, even when I was in school or working in an office setting. To me, the day is what matters, not the prefix.

Sleepypete said...

Monday is when I'm attempting to adjust back to a "normal" schedule of getting up/going to sleep instead of the sleeping too much on weekends schedule.

I think my workmates have worked out to leave asking questions until after they see me heading for my 3rd cup of coffee.

Anonymous said...

Again I stopped by for your WW and ended up finding something else I want to comment on. :-P

I hate Mondays, hate hate hate! :-P The sad part is I love my job ONCE I am in the room. I have fun with my teaching, everyone wants to be there (usually ;-) ) and I come out feeling much better than I went in. BUT the thought of my weekend ending every Sunday night, and waking up first thing Monday morning, BOO!

Leesa said...

Did you take that shot? Beautiful!