Sunday, March 23, 2008

Caption This 63


Please caption this image
[Click here for instructions on how Caption This works]

London, ON, March 2008 [Click to embiggen]


This is the year of global warming, of carbon footprints, of realizing that we're on the slippery slope toward environmental oblivion unless we start making some very hard, very drastic and very expensive choices.

I recall when Earth Day was huge around 1989-90. It was a big fad to get involved, clean up a park somewhere on a Sunday morning with other like-minded do-gooders while local TV news crews shot b-roll footage of the volunteers in their snappy new t-shirts. Then it just vanished, another victim of pop culture burnout.

I hope we've learned our lesson in the intervening years. Doubtful, but you never know.

Your turn: Post a caption for this photo in a comment. You can be funny, serious, or whatever mood strikes you. Drag your friends into this nuttiness, miss work and stay up late. Anything to fill my comments box with good stuff. Still not sure how Caption This works? Click here for the really simple rules.

About last week's water bottle in a desert photo: I guess I can't get away from the eco-green theme. This week's honorable menschens are:
  • Tiel Aisha Ansari: It's perfectly clear
  • Robin: Abandonment issues
  • Awareness: Plastic apathy
  • Judy: North American oasis
  • Naomi: In The Shadow Of My Smile, I Drink
  • MissMeliss: Deserter
  • Omykiss: Waste water
  • Sister AE: Water, water everywhere! Now where'd I leave my drink?
And the top nod goes to Moi, for Message "with" a bottle. I can't get Sting's musical chorus out of my head, and for good reason. Her blog, Not By A Long Shot, is an absolute photographic treat. Go. You won't be sorry.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smoking kills...the earth.

Anonymous said...

Carmi, I think you should read Strange Pilgrims by Marquez. That too is a collection of stories. And it is much better than the one I have reviewed now.

Anonymous said...

Where there's smoke, there's mire.

(Thanks for the menschen, Carmi...you know I love my array of bride's maid dresses!) :)

kenju said...

We all need to blow off steam now and then!

Anonymous said...

Smokestack lightning.
Terri

Anonymous said...

The genie, weary of granting wishes, tried, in vain, to get back in the bottle.

Anonymous said...

Steamed.

(Apparently my caption creation is feeling terse lately.)

Pat said...

Carmi: this fills me with such nostalgia I can't think. I was a child in industrial Lancashire in the thirties and smoke coming out of the chimneys meant strikes were over and there would be bread - even cake -on the table and a time to rejoice.

'There's th'half past five whistle!'

Will that do? Popped in from Michele's - Happy Holiday Week-end.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Carmi! Here's mine: "[Cough, cough, cough]"

WendyWings said...

The earth sends out smoke signals for HELP !
Michele sent me to visit this morning :)

David Edward said...

i know you are aware that there is a growing list of sources that think that temperature change may be related to something beyond our small impact on the planet, such as the amount of radiation the sun puts out.

don't buy what is in print just because it is in print, there are HUGE market forces at play here.

i am all against pollution, having survived the late 60's in the souther calif "smog bowl"
but lets stay as objective as possible.

Carolyn said...

I remember when Earth Day was big too, and Adopt a Highway. And isn't (wasn't) there one day where everyone was supposed to plant a tree?

My caption: Pipe Dreams

awareness said...

Belching Progress

A Plume of Fumes

Scent-sensationally Stacked.

Crime of the Century.

Nestor Family said...

It huffed and it puffed... and it blew the earth down...

I remember Earth Day being a big to-do... it seems like all things in the past seemed like they were a bigger deal. Everything nowadays is overdone.

Tiel Aisha Ansari said...

Bye bye blue sky

Who, me?

Happy contrails to you...

Not with a bang, but with a puff.

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you liked mine last week. now for this picture...


blowing my stack

where's the non-smoking area?

Alix said...

Gone with the wind

Anonymous said...

Smoking gun.

smoke signals.

smoke and where's the mirrors?

Terri

Linda said...

factory-sealed burps

puff, puff, puff...I think I can, I THINK I can...

steamed off

awareness said...

Warning: smoking makes you impotent.

Choking on progress

Yes, I've tried it but I never inhaled.

Omykiss said...

Thanks for the honorable menschens.

A little contribution to the Big Smoke!

Omykiss said...

Smoking gun ...

Hi Carmi, I've just done an environmental post too .... maybe you inspired me ;)

marcia@joyismygoal said...

calmly blowing my stack

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

It wasn't me, I SWEAR!

Erika Cass Designs said...

Ok so most of the commenters taglines have already included this word but......
I have to go with my chain of thought when I first saw the pic(ok go with me here) this "smokestack"(is that what it is?) looked like a cigarette with the smoke puffing out and that lead me to think of a certain funny movie so my tagline is....

S-s-s-smokin'!

Um, if you didn't follow me and you have no idea what I'm referring to than just think Jim Carey with a green face. ;o)

BeccA's Buzz said...

"Yabba-dabba-doooooooooooooo!" *a long whistle sounds in the background*>

Anonymous said...

"I've never inhaled."

Sara said...

puff-perfect

Sara said...

not sure how my co-worker thought this upon seeing the photo, but here goes:

bean beans the magical fruit, the more you eat them the more you toot, the more you toot the better you feel so eat your beans at every meal.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

:) thank you Carmi for the honor......I am still trying to get used to the transition from the unrestricted schedules at school to the current tied-down life at work....enjoying it but blogging seems to have taken a backseat....that explains such late responses!!!!