Friday, September 19, 2008

Like snowy fingernails on a chalkboard


Patterns in the snow
Somewhere in the Rockies, March 2007
Quick note: We're digging into this week's Thematic Photographic theme, nature. Please click here if you'd like to join in - and we very much hope you do Caption This is also awaiting your photo-naming genius (here).
Sometimes, you look out the window and see something that reminds you what it was like to be a child. Heading home from a conference last year, I saw this through the plane's window and instantly thought back to a moment when, sitting in front of my snowbound house, I used my gloves to dig deep grooves in the snow. I sat for a while, staring at my handiwork, wondering what would happen in spring when the weather would warm up and the water would begin to flow.

I was master of my own little universe, then. Whatever I imagined was real to me as I waited for my mom to call me in for lunch. It was a peaceful place to be - no worries about work, life or the future. Just me and some snow.

Your turn: Ever see something in a landscape that instantly takes you back?

About this photo: I've been adding photos from my archives to my Flickr account because as much as I like to rage on about my ISP, I discovered that tey offer free Flickr Pro accounts to subscribers (never mind that I had to call and beg for it...in the end, I got it.

So thanks to frighteningly efficient uploader software and a fast Internet connection, I've now got thousands of images on Flickr. The blog? Not so many. If you've been hankering for a wider perspective on what I shoot, head on over here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/writteninc/) and have a mosey. (And no, don't worry, Written Inc. isn't going anywhere. Think of Flickr as a nice complement to my life as a writer/photographer/somewhat insane husband and father.)

5 comments:

Capturing Today said...

Neat photo - looks kind of like marble tile or countertop! Can't stand the thought of fingernails on a chalkboard though - ugh!

Jeni from Kansas said...

I grew up in the northern part of Maryland where we were completely surrounded by mountains. Prior to a good snow we could see it shifting past the mountainous horizon from my grandma's porch; it was absolutely spectacular. Living in Kansas now, where prairie lands are bountiful, it is difficult to find a tender moment in the winter such as that. All we feel is the wind and then before you know it we're plowed with 2 feet of snow. Anytime I see a mountain my mind immediately throws me back to the times on grandma's porch when the snow was coming in over the mountaintops.

Thanks for allowing me to reminisce.

Robin said...

I love that image, it reminds me of the desert after a flood. Serene, but full of power.

Here's my take on the nature prompt.

dianne - bunny trails said...

Very interesting shot. The scene that takes me back is wheat fields and windmills - to my Grandma's in Nebraska. It was about a 6 hour drive and we went to visit about 4-5 times a year. As I got older, I also got to stay for a few weeks in the summer. I'll have to find a shot like that.

Here is my second entry for this week's theme. I may be on a roll this week.

gel said...

Interesting content.

Just wanted to share some information that may help busy professionals caught up with work and who have less time to maintain their nails. You can try out gel nails which are now becoming a hot favorite as they are natural looking even without nail tips and the best way for nail enhancement. Also, if you are allergic to those strong smelling chemicals which you can experience with acrylic nails, then you should use gel nails as these are odorless.

However, when you are planning on gel nail application, make sure you approach a nail salon or a nail artist who is well versed with gel nails and is properly trained and mastered in gel applications. This will save you from problems that can arise with improper gel nail applications.