Thursday, September 16, 2010

Twisting by the pool


Take a load off
Laval, QC, August 2010

I used to think that art existed exclusively in museums. If it carried a hefty price tag, was hung on a wall and then discussed at great and often exasperating length by ascot-wearing retirees with fake British accents, it was art. Anything else didn't even need to apply.

Then it hit me that I don't get to museums as often as I'd like. Sure, in the ideal world I'd wander their hallowed halls for a couple of hours every morning after dropping the kids off at school. The world would wait while I filled up on my daily dose of impressionism, cubism and neo-classical expression. But the real world compels us to spend more time, you know, working and creating value. So I won't be wearing ascots and holding a fake pipe anytime soon. Artsy bummer, indeed.

Which means I need to get my art elsewhere. Which means the old museum-only definition is out. It doesn't need to be framed, mounted or spotlit. It doesn't need to carry a name like Renoir or Rembrandt. If it isn't from a Group of Seven painter, it'll still count. Heck, it doesn't even have to be an actual , deliberately created work of art. It could be incidental, accidental art.

Like these deck chairs. The kids liked their curvy, wavy shape, and I noticed when they lined up next to each other that they looked rather unique - worlds better than the weather-stained off-white resin excuse for furniture that used to be here. So as I said a silent thank-you to the condo board folks who decided these chairs represented a worthwhile investment, I decided the moment needed to be remembered somehow. And I decided the result qualified as art. Unconventional, to be sure, but still just the kind of thing that gets you thinking about the things that make this world a nicer place to be.

Your turn: Look around you. What art do you see?

One more thing: I'll post the new Thematic Photographic theme, "letters and numbers" at 7:00 Eastern tonight. Which gives you some time to mull over how you'll tackle this one. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

10 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Cool, clean lines!. I do a lot of macro photography and I find art in water drops especially those from tips of leaves or on stems... the reflection thru a drop is so cool.

Juniper said...

That is my kind of art; I've never really liked all that classical painting stuff personally!

I went to a Dali exhibition in London once, I only made it halfway round before I was 'full'.

Anonymous said...

Amazing the virtual texture, it literally lifts itself off the page. Makes me want to reach out and touch my screen.

Ginny Hartzler said...

When I saw your thumbnail on my sidebar, I couldn't figure out what it was. And now I see that it is industrail art! No, not chairs at all, why would you even THINK that? I do love your description of art critics!! Art is whatever we see in something, and for the life of me I can't figure out why some things are even in a museum, like chimp paintings! I think I will do your numbers and letters theme, I have one already that is totally unique! But besides posting my theme, don't I have to use a link somewhere? I don't remember seeing any on your blog? I'm so nerdy when it comes to computer programs! If I can't figure it out, I'll still do my post! I love your themes, and think I will start doing some, never thought I would before, but I guess you've finally sucked me in!

21 Wits said...

an added touch to complete this photo would be each chair holding various colored water balloons all waiting to explode in a Happy Birthday celebration toss!.....

Scarlet said...

Art is everywhere and is anything you want it to be!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

What a cool perspective...I really should slow down and notice the art that surrounds me everyday. Thanks for the inspiration to do just that!

young-eclectic-encounters said...

I think your photo is an amazing piece of art. It has a great composition, filled with texture and contrast. Wonderful. I used to belong to the High Museum of Art in Atlanta and have found in recent years that they are focusing more and more on photographic exhibits. the photos we produce are just as much a work of art as any painting and just like paintings it's the quality that makes a difference. One of my favorite personal artistic endeavors endeavors is on the bottom of the blog post
http://young-eclectic-encounters.blogspot.com/2010/08/doctors-doctors-and-more-doctors.html
Johnina :^A

rashbre said...

I like the photo. Good shot. Wall-worthy.

Glennis said...

What a great photo, Carmi!