Monday, November 01, 2010

Candle in the wind


That warm glow
London, ON, October 2010

As we continue our exploration of all things yellow (follow your mouse here for more Thematic Photographic yellow-themed goodness) it occurs to me that this particular optical wavelength is more commonly associated with happiness than more sober colors like, say, grey or black.

I don't know why this is so, or why some colors tend to mean different things in different cultures. In my own stumblings through the universe, yellow has always cast a happy glow over my life. It was a warm, sunny day when I first met the woman I'd someday marry. The bike that carried me ultra-long distances across town during my most hard-core years as a bike commuter was banana-yellow. Speaking of bananas, I wouldn't have had the stamina to ride that far without them. All in all, yellow's been good to me.

And so we come to these candles. Every Friday, my wife lights them with our daughter. It's a tradition, both in our home and in the legacy of who we are. Mothers and daughters light candles to welcome in Shabbat (the Jewish Sabbath). Everything stops as they light them and say the blessing, then wish everyone in the house a happy and peaceful Shabbat. It's a small thing, really, but such a touchstone of our family and our daughter's relationship with her mom that it's something I've long tried to capture with a camera.

I doubt this picture does the trick, but it'll have to suffice for now. Because that friendly yellow glow simply continues the warm fuzzies I've long felt every time I cross paths with a certain woman who inexplicably still loves me. Thank goodness for small miracles.

Your turn: Do you have a color/life/happy to share? Please do!

One more thing: Please find the person closest to you and wish him/her a happy new month. It's a small thing, I know. But small things add up.

10 comments:

Shirley said...

That is a touching tribute to your wife. Family traditions are wonderful things.

Anonymous said...

You've captured the essence of a warm, loving relationship between mom and daughter; this light fills the entire home with radiance, comfort, solace and simple beauty.

Thank you for the timely reminder to pause and cherish those quiet moments, those in-between places.

Mustang Sally said...

You may have noticed that when presented with a variety of options I have a problem choosing LOL. I love almost all colors, except maybe pastels ... and even those have their place.

Yellow is traditionally associated with happiness, contentment, and joy, but all bright, bold colors make me happy. I very seldom work in B&W, except on occasion for dramatic effect, because to me ... it's like sucking all the life out of a photo.

Love the candles, I've never managed to capture a lit candle to my satisfaction. You did a great job of capturing 'mood'.

21 Wits said...

Very effective sensation of love and peace captured through your lens, with the flames blowing gently and with such loving words spoken for your wife but even more so those between mother and daughter. Having two sons and one daughter I can relate to that special bond found between mother and daughter, not that I don't have bonds with my sons...yes boys I do! But even more striking is the deepness that your traditions (Jewish) bring which keep loved ones close. It's funny my daughter and I were just discussing something similar to this just this afternoon. Good blessings to you and your family! Long live family and all their traditions!

that guy said...

EXCELLENT POST...

and great pic...

glow adn warm describe that *new relationship*

it is very cool that after all these years you still have that feeling...

peaceful...

CorvusCorax12 said...

i love the picture , well captured movements. And thank you for leaving the nice compliments on blog :)

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Not a color, but a happy share.. When I was first married my husband and I would make Friday night our 'junk food night" which meant the nearest fast food and a bottle of champagne.. that carried on till we had kids ... We started having that ritual because we had wanted to start saving money for a home... From 1976-part 2001... Unfortunately, the chilled bottle in June 8,2001 went unopened... But I can tell u all those Fridays and years gave me a happy warm feeling.

Kavi said...

Its the Diwali week here in India ! the lights are on show ! Will perhaps click a few snaps and post...!!

good one ! As usual !

Tracie Nall said...

I feel the friendly glow looking at that picture. You captured it well.

There is something so wonderful about having that time each week. Something to look forward to. A tradition that is much older than you, yet embraces you.


I have a specific yellow story that I shared on my blog a few months ago. It seems fitting. http://www.fromtracie.com/2010/07/i-fought-with-color.html

smarmoofus said...

How beautiful.