Thursday, November 04, 2010

Thematic Photographic 122 - Electric


Energy savers
London, ON, October 2010
If you're impatient, start here: Thematic Photographic launches its next week of fun with a new theme. electricity. If you're already well-versed on the insanity that is TP, post your pic, leave a comment here and have fun with it. If you're new to our weekly photo sharing activity, click here.
If you want the backstory, read this: Lately, electricity's been in the news fairly regularly here in Ontario. Government mismanagement (there, I said it) has resulted in skyrocketing baseline rates, coupled with a botched implementation of smart meters and a hair-brained layering of the new Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) on top of it all. Stories of bills doubling and tripling are not uncommon. Citizens are ready to torch Queens Park, the Ontario legislature building.

To say we're being governed by monkeys would cast monkeys in an unfairly negative light. I hope our Premier and grand poobah, one Dalton McGuinty, watched the U.S. elections carefully last night. There may be a little foreshadowing going on.

Oops, I got political! Doesn't happen often, but when it slips out, far be it for me to snuff it out.

There, I'm good. So...electricity. Yes. Triple-digit bills are prompting many among us to look for ways to save. Replacing conventional filament-based bulbs with these compact fluorescents seems like a no-brainer. Same light for less than a quarter of the energy. Ah yes, but there's the dirty little secret of these bulbs, that they have a small amount of mercury in them, and as of now there's no recycling process in place.

No one ever said being green would be easy.

Your turn: Please post an electrically-themed pic on your blog or site, then leave a comment here so folks know where to find it. Remember: how you interpret it is entirely up to you. There are no rights or wrongs here, so if you want to stretch things well beyond the bounds of conventionality, go for it.

Oh yes, one additional wrinkle this week: kindly send the TP link to a friend. I'd like to see more folks playing along because, well, bigger is always better. And I know y'all enjoy this. Thanks gang!

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a cold one, on me...

Max Sartin said...

Ok, this is too spooky. The first time I happened upon the Thematic Photographic, the theme was "Reflective" and I had just been up at Red Butte Gardens with Writer and had a great picture of a tree reflected in a pond. Now, I just finished a post about the electricity in the building I teach at, and voila, the theme is Electricity.
Not my best pictures, had I know the theme was going to be Electricity I would have been more creative. I'll chime in later with better pictures, but here's my first entry for this theme.

young-eclectic-encounters said...

We here in the US can only buy those energy saving bulbs no more incondesant bulbs here. In thinking of your theme and stretching it some all blogs qualify for this theme for without electricity none of this would be possible. Even my camera is battery operated. So I guess you can check out any of my posts.
http:young-eclectic-encounters.blogspot.com
Johnina :^A

Anonymous said...

HI It's me.. the new kid on the block.. I love this idea..I posted a picture and you know me, the scribbler had to add a few words.. I hope i did this corectly..my first attempt.. Be kind..LOL

http://juluca27.blogspot.com/2010/11/thematic-photographic-122-electric.html

Max Sartin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Max Sartin said...

Ok, here's my real entry for this week's theme.
Electric
You can ignore the other one if you want.

Glennis said...

I like the shot of the curly bulbs!! Pretty cool. They could be anything in the case.

I'm working on something electric, will be back.....

A Paperback Writer said...

Here are mine for this week:
http://apaperbackwriter.blogspot.com/2010/11/photo-non-contest-122-electric.html

Unknown said...

My offering this week takes "electricity" rather loosely. Enjoy the trickster...

http://randomoutrageous.blogspot.com/2010/11/electric-personality.html

fredamans said...

Here is my post.

http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2010/11/thematic-photographic-electric.html

This week's theme is a good one.

21 Wits said...

OK! Here's my first post in for electric, (had to think about where to go for photos over dinner!)

Link: http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2010/11/thematic-photographic-122-electric.html

Thanks Carmi! I think this theme is electrifying!...and I'm excited to see what's already in!

CorvusCorax12 said...

i changed all my bulbs and did find a big difference.
We had our own drama here in NB over the proposed sale of NB power.
Here is mine

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

Ive missed a few TP's ...

I celebrate my 1000th blog with electric

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Well, mine is a bit twisted...and I put the word out....
http://afreshstartwithkalei.blogspot.com/2010/11/tp-122-electric.html

Rebecca said...

very cool pic

Glennis said...

My "Electric" photo is up now:

http://doves2day.blogspot.com

Tiel Aisha Ansari said...

My captcha says "ductiv" How's that for serendipity?

Anyway here's my post

Nestor Family said...

Hello!

Here is my Thematic Photographic contribution for the week.

Thanks again for the fun!

Juniper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
srp said...

I went back to Ben Franklin for my electric moment!

The last time I went to the store we still had the incandescent bulbs... there are some that won't take these in our house.

Alexia said...

Well, this theme took a while to make me feel a spark - probably suffering from over-work brain drain...
Here's my electric offering, for what it's worth

Gemma Wiseman said...

Wires usually look so ugly! And, in fact, often we feel they destroy a good photo! But perhaps, working round them, can make a "different" photo! It's all in the perspective!

Good to see we are not alone in Australia fighting sharply rising electricity costs! I still don't understand why it's happening!

Electrified!

Max Sartin said...

Carmi - thanks for this. I look forward to every Thursday and Friday, to see what I can come up with for the theme and to see what everyone else does.

Catherine said...

Here's a photo of a town that time forgot, with a surprising connection to the theme.

We use those bulbs here too, but my husband is now suggesting we try LEDs, they give a good bright light and last ten times as long as the ones you've pictured, and use a fraction of the power - just a few watts per bulb. They are more expensive, but it could be well worth it - especially if they have no mercury.

Cathy said...

Here is my link...

http://nccathy1.blogspot.com/2010/11/thematic-photograhic-122-electric.html

Juniper said...

Mixing it up a little

21 Wits said...

Okay here's my pretty version of electric!

Link: http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2010/11/thematic-photographic-122-electric_06.html

At first I wasn't so sure about this theme either, but everyone is being so darn creative!!!!!

Glennis said...

Carmi, this is a great theme, and I want you to know it inspired me on a different level for most writing. I don't know how long it will take for me to complete this new idea, but in the meantime, I've got another Thematic Photographic post for "electric" up at:

http://doves2day.blogspot.com

that guy said...

actually was really excited about this theme...then i had to figure out what to do...then i got all scared and stuff...45 exposures later i settled on these two...

http://bruceejohnsonjadip.blogspot.com/2010/11/thematic-photgraphy-122-electric.html

The Gearheads said...

My latest post

http://the-gearheads.blogspot.com/2010/11/more-electric-tp-122.html

Gilly said...

Not very imaginative of me, but its all I can do for the moment, and not sure I will be able to take part for a few weeks. I'll be back though!

Meanwhile here's mine

Cathy said...

I added a couple more photos to my blog. http://nccathy1.blogspot.com/2010/11/thematic-photograhic-122-electric.html

aunt snow said...

More and more electric!

http://dovess2day.blogspot.com