Sunday, November 14, 2010

Something wicked this way comes


Building sky
Laval, QC, July 2009
[Click photo to enlarge. Click here to share your own black & white pic]

Remember when we were kids and we'd lie on the lawn for hours at a stretch, staring at the passing clouds and trying to guess what they looked like? Don't tell anyone I'm still doing this well into adulthood. Who says there's a threshold for wonder, anyway?

The day I took this shot, I wasn't lying on the lawn. I was in the middle of what seemed to be the largest parking lot this side of a Boeing factory or a Texas football stadium. It was a hot, muggy summer day that promised to turn into a late-afternoon thunderfest. As we waited for the atmospheric entertainment to play itself out, the skies looked so, I don't know, rich with potential. I knew something was going on up there, so I picked up my decidedly non-childlike slab of a camera and tried to remember the feel of the moment.

When I was finished shooting, I reviewed the results on my camera's screen and thought I saw my dog's head over there on the right. Maybe I was just imagining it.

Your turn: What do you see in this sky? Do you stare at clouds, too?

15 comments:

The Blogger Formerly Known As said...

Clouds are always fascinating to watch, at whatever age. Although, personally, I think this looks more like a dragon’s head.
The enigmatic, masked blogger

Anne said...

I saw a cat laying down with its paws out in front...

laurak/ForestWalkArt :) said...

clouds!! always changing...and so much to see!! i spotted a head over there to the right side...but not a dog...i saw some other kind of 'monster' head. hmmmmm....

Unknown said...

Best thing to do on a long road trip, besides listening to music.

Cathy said...

I'm a cloud watcher too. The last cloud formation photo I took was of one that looked like a very large angel.

A Paperback Writer said...

Wow. I thought you must've taken this out of a plane window; it looks so close-up and personal.
Beautiful, beautiful shot.

that guy said...

Awesome...

i look at clouds occasionally. and am still awed...

this past summer when TuckMonster was a smaller pup, i laid down in the grass and watched the clouds roll by while i held his chewy toy while he chopped and felt peace...

then TM jumped on my head....

srp said...

I was thinking a cat's head, but a dog will do as well!

Somewhere round about said...

yeah, of course i stare at clouds!
it's free, relaxing and boosts creativity.

win win win

:: Cookie Monster :: said...

So beautiful!

Rebecca said...

my son says it looks like a fist coming through and i still lay on the lawn looking at clouds

Anonymous said...

Billowing thunderheads always fascinate me -- and since they usually form on a too-hot summer afternoon, you can find me begging them to release their fury overhead.

In that vein, I see the Loch Ness Monster rising from the loch.

Scarlet said...

I think it looks like a dragon!
Clouds are amazing aren't they?

Mona Sweden said...

Clouds are fascinating. I think it looks like a head of a lion resting on the savanna on a hot day.

Gallow said...

On the left is a Poodle Head staring straight at us.