Monday, July 29, 2013

Big bang theory

Fire in the sky
London, ON
July 2013
This shot winds down our most recent Thematic theme, blurred vision. Thanks to everyone who participated. There's still time to share your submission by clicking here. New theme, signs of the times, launches tonight at 7:00 p.m. Eastern.
Ever since we moved to London, we've been making the long drive back to our hometown of Montreal to visit family. Just east of the Quebec-Ontario border, in a town called Coteau-du-Lac, there's a place, B.E.M. Fireworks, that manufactures and sells fireworks. It's right beside the main highway - Highway 20 - and every time we pass it, I get a little chill down to the base of my spine. What if, I think.

Well, "what if" happened last month when a massive explosion flattened the manufacturing facility and killed two employees.

I love a good fireworks display as much as the next person. But it'll be hard to watch the aerial theatrics anymore without thinking of this event, and the lasting impact it'll have on the victims' families and surrounding town. Life comes with risk. Sometimes you see it coming.

2 comments:

21 Wits said...

Oh my, I imagine they all feared that same what if, each time they arrived at work. Sometimes we do see things coming, and too often we don't get out of our own way, but in cases like that, you wonder how they dealt on a day to day basis going to work each day. It's like those folks, (even myself really) that wonder each time you board a plane, what if? That what if too often surprises many.

Pat Tillett said...

That is a scary thought Carmi! I really don't like fireworks. The big shows may be pretty, but they scare the heck out pets and wildlife. A couple of years ago, the towns "official and legal" fireworks show caused a little wildfire that almost got into a residential area. The thing I like the least though, is the IDIOTS who shoot off rockets, M-80's and things like that in front of their houses. Even a sparkler is illegal in my town. Of course, most of them then leave the mess in the street for somebody else to clean up. I must be getting old and cranky. Next thing you know, I'll be yelling at kids playing in my yard!