Thursday, July 11, 2013

What came first? Chicken or egg?

Please recycle
London, ON
February 2013
Thematic. Grown. Here.
Ever so slowly, I've been getting myself back into grocery store shooting mode. There's no real reason for my doing so. I went on a bit of a binge years ago (ah, fruitography), and I guess the mini-addiction never really left me.

I think the advent of smartphones has also helped ease my fears of getting caught. Back in the day, pulling a honking SLR out of my backpack was almost an invitation to being ejected from the store (and in at least one case, I came darn close.) I often used a point-and-shoot camera to compensate a bit, but even that was a bit much. It's hard to hide your intentions when you pull a camera out in the middle of a place where folks don't generally engage in photography.

Enter the smartphone. With a few subtle moves, I can make it look like I'm simply sending someone an email. Or texting my wife to ask whether she wants a carton of 12 or 18 eggs, or updating my Facebook status. I can power on and configure the smartphone, er, camera rather surreptitiously before quickly composing and shooting. It isn't perfect: at some point, someone who's otherwise watching me intently and has half an observational brain is going to clue in. But it's still a lot lower profile than it used to be.

So on this day I shot some eggs. What should I capture next?

--
More from the grocery store:

3 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

The dinosaur!
~

Glennis said...

Isn't that weird? I have noticed that people who object to cameras totally ignore it when I take a photo with an Iphone. Weird.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

How about an up close shot of your 4 legged friend's eye!. I bet the color(s) are amazing...Bet u can capture the reflection in his pupil.
:-)