Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Thematic Photographic 253 - Blurred Vision

Into the flow
London, ON
July 2013
We've been taught from an early age that sharpness, precision, clean lines and keeping the color within them are all signs of perfection. If we fall a little short on any of these fronts, conventional wisdom would have us toss the results out.

In other words, there's one definition of success, and you're not supposed to argue the point.

Needless to say, I disagree with this way of looking at the world. Who's to say that a drawing composed of mostly outside-the-lines coloring is a failure? Who decided that a lesss-than-tack-sharp photo should end up in the recycling bin?

This occurred to me as I stood on the muddy riverbank and composed this shot. I was in the deep shadows cast by the high forest, and the lack of light was very much an issue for me. I tried to use the fastest possible shutter speed for the light that I had, but every shot that came out was meh. Actually, they were technically fine: sharp waves, nice reflections, the perfectly composed and exposed shot.

But they didn't sing, didn't tell a story, didn't make you wonder where it was all going. I could hear the burbling water in my ears, feel the breeze on my arms and almost feel the magic of this place throughout my body. But the static, perfectly frozen picture did nothing to convey that feeling.

So I threw it into manual, ignored the meter and had some fun with handheld long exposures (hint: get to your Zen spot, then stay there.) Every time I look at the resulting shot, I can hear the water and feel the breeze.

Your turn: Thematic celebrates blurred vision this week, so if you've got blurry, wavy, out-of-focus stuff to share, have at it. Simply upload it to your blog, website or whatever other online service you use, then leave a comment here letting folks know where to find it. Visit other participants, and share your results via Twitter - using the #ThematicPhotographic hashtag - to spread the joy even further. For more info on how Thematic works, click here. Thanks...and have fun!

11 comments:

Max Sartin said...

I like it - you can see the water moving, feel it's cool. Mine are blurred after the fact, but here they are.

fredamans said...

Interesting shot.
Without a description, you'd have no idea what to make of it. Your imagination can only run wild at a list of things it could be.

http://writteninc.blogspot.ca/2013/07/thematic-photographic-253-blurred-vision.html

fredamans said...

oops left your link and not mine...

http://fredamans.blogspot.ca/2013/07/blurred-vision.html

Alexia said...

This is intriguing - as fredamans says, you can interpret it any way you like!

Here are some blurry birds.

21 Wits said...

Yes, one can totally see your image, with great description! Ha! Ha! This theme is (becoming so much clearer) or rather, growing on me! Here's mine

http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2013/07/thematic-photographic-253-blurred-vision.html

Bob Scotney said...

I get enough blurry photos without trying, Unfortunately I rarely if ever keep them. However I have some from WWII.
http://bit.ly/13Emklc

Michèle et Jean-Claude said...

Gheez Carmi I'm a "point & shoot" gal, those cameras don't take blurred photos! But I have given you my interpretation of blurred vision.

http://cheznousottawa.blogspot.ca/2013/07/photographie-thematique-253-vision.html

photodoug said...

Carmi, here we is our blurred vision.

Gilly said...

My camera does not have the facility to choose aperture and speed, so I had to get creative to take something suitable!

Try me at http://gillymaccsphotos.blogspot.com

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Here is my blurry picture.
~

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

And here are some fuzzy fireworks.
~