Saturday, July 27, 2013

Peeking into the pasture

Blink and you'll miss it
Somewhere in southwestern Ontario
October 2012
Click here for more blurry Thematic
I couldn't replicate this shot if it tried. I was on a Via train on my way to Toronto for a meeting. And as I often do when I'm on the go, I found myself taking pictures out the window to help pass the time.

Instead of using a real camera, I had my iPad. I know it isn't even remotely the purist's choice, but I thought it would be fun to shoot with a camera that was clearly not built for the task. It isn't always about perfection, and sometimes you just want to deliberately muck around with the wrong tool and see what you can come up with.

This one is my favorite from that day. The stolen view of the pasture behind the tree line reminds me there are communities and lives playing out just feet away from the speeding train, and whichever side of the tracks we may be on, we're all connected in some way. In light of recent rail disasters in Spain and Lac Megantic, Quebec, it's a sobering reminder that routine travel is anything but routine.

Your turn: what photo will you be taking next? Why?

2 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Funny thing, Carmi.

When I was in D.C. a few months ago, I was all about taking pics of the Metrobus at night.

I'd forgotten all about it!
~

Pat Tillett said...

It seems like most of my photos look like this. Even if it's not intentional!