Saturday, April 12, 2014

Al Jazeera!

So I had an interesting interview yesterday.

With Al Jazeera.

(!)

I spoke with correspondent Daniel Lak about the - say it with me - Heartbleed vulnerability.
Video is here: Heartbleed bug shuts down Canadian websites
Story is here: Governments warn of Heartbleed bug threat
I'm guessing my rather tumultuous world of journalism world grew a little bit this week. I've long called this journey of mine somewhat surreal and  more than a little blessed. After this latest neat piece of news, I'm starting to think that I may be right.

What a ride.

4 comments:

21 Wits said...

What a ride indeed. So, I did change a few passwords, and later that day on the evening news, the told us, don't change your passwords yet, and if you have, be sure to do so in another few days. When they (who are they again? hehehehe) things will be safe again??? Really?
I'll keep checking what you think Carmi, right here.

carmilevy said...

I'm glad you're part of the journey, Karen!

"They" are the web administrators and IT types who are responsible for maintaining the websites, networks and other online resources that make up the Internet. There are squillions of them around the world, and right now they're all likely focused on updating their web server software - basically, applying a relatively simple patch to get rid of the vulnerability

I think it's a safe bet that most of the major sites are already all fixed up - some, but not all, of them are putting up advisories on their home pages - but given the sheer number of systems affected, it'll probably take a few weeks before we can call this chapter closed.

I vehemently disagree with the "dont-change-your-password" crowd, Taking control is the quickest, easiest means of reducing your personal vulnerability to attack. Heartbleed or no Heartbleed, we've all got to get better at updating our passwords regularly, so you're very much on the right track.

I'll keep updating here. Thanks!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I HATE changing passwords!

*grumble grumble*
~

carmilevy said...

It's easier to change a few passwords every month or two than clean up after someone hacks your online banking account.