Sunday, April 27, 2014

Getting metaphysical in the fruit aisle

Don't mess with Mother Nature
London, ON
December 2013
Thematic. Chaotic. Here.
After a long hiatus, I'm apparently back to terrorizing grocery stores. As part of my exhaustive review of the BlackBerry Z30, I of course had to make sure its camera passed muster. And what better way to do that than a trip through the fruit bins of the local big box food store?

The amazing thing about stuff grown from nature is how it mixes the random with the ordered. The texture alone seems to offer nothing even approaching order. But the longer you stand there and ponder the metaphysical "why" of a simple fruit, you begin to realize it's anything but chaotic. Billions of years of evolution ensured this particular fruit would grow in this particular way. When you zoom the lens way back, what initially seemed chaotic is, indeed, rather orderly.

Or so I like to remind myself when I get home and tuck into this rather delicious example of nature's chaotic-yet-orderly perfection. I guess I'm just weird that way.

Your turn: Your favourite fruit is...?

4 comments:

kenju said...

I cannot think of a fruit I don't like, but then I have not tasted durian or some of the more exotic offerings.

I love seeing the displays in the grocery store; it's art in natural form.

Unknown said...

How about mango, guava and anona... Care to sample my spicy kiwi jam (made with ginger and black pepper)... mmmm yummy..

Tabor said...

Fruit evolved? Ooo that does sound a bit controversial. ;-)

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

It's hard to pass up a blackberry pie!

But also, lemon meringue pie. And apple pie. And cherry pie...
~