Tuesday, April 15, 2014

On pursuing passion

"I would rather die of passion than of boredom."
Vincent van Gogh
I had an interesting discussion with a friend the other day about finding work that feeds the soul. And as we were chatting I realized too few of us are doing that. We're letting ourselves slide into the groove of doing stuff for the sake of doing stuff, without ever feeling - really feeling - anything remotely approaching passion.

The prospect of this saddens me for a whole lot of reasons, primarily because we haven't been given enough days to fritter them away on nothingness. Pursuing your passion may indeed expose you to a greater degree of risk - of falling flat on your face, of losing what you had in the first place, of diverging from the path that others may have laid out for you, whatever - but never taking steps toward whatever it is that fuels your soul strikes me as the greatest risk of all.

Your turn: What feeds your passion?

4 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I like taking nature pics, Carmi.

As far as why we are separated from our passions, I think it's because we live in corporate cultures devoted to generating the most profits per worker bee.
~

Tabor said...

Very few find work fuels their passion...they must find it elsewhere, I am afraid.

21 Wits said...

I completely and 100 per cent totally agree with you. Spending moments of our everyday life with our passions can fill in the blanks, if we dare!

Unknown said...

Interviewing people, performing music and writing fun articles!