Thursday, March 05, 2020

Before hitting the stage...

The right equipment for the job
Orlando, FL
March 2020
This photo originally shared on Instagram
Presenting at a conference is a soul-stirring experience, and the few minutes before you step onstage are very special.

The area backstage is dark, packed with equipment, and strangely quiet. You can hear what's going on on-stage through the thick drapes, but it's somewhat muddled, and the space otherwise feels strangely comforting, as if any other time it would be a great spot to duck away from the rush of a typical day.

But this isn't any other time, and if you're back here, you're not hanging out. In just a few seconds, you'll be staring into blinding lights. It can be daunting, but it's also one of the coolest things you can ever do.

Walking slow circles around this hushed space reminds me of the rituals I evolved during my years in media. I would deliberately take my time as I arrived at a TV studio. my eyes, ears and other senses in high-def-record mode, afraid to miss even the tiniest detail. I tried to slow the moment down in my mind as a way of preparing for what came next.

Initially it was to calm my nerves, and while it eventually got easier as I became more experienced, I still always had a moment along the way when I'd pause and catch my breath. The magic of being in front of people - sharing what you know, what you've created, who you are - never goes away.

I still try to ground myself before I step into the lights, and sometimes I even break out a camera and steal a fast picture. It isn't about the photography. It's about telling the story, and freezing an amazing moment in time, so you can come back to it later on.

This one speaks of the often-unseen, near-Herculean effort by countless people to make a conference like this feel seamless to everyone who attends. I can't take my family with me to this place, but I can at least give them a sense of what it felt like when I was here, and how privileged I feel to get to do this.

#orlando #florida #fla #itrg #infotechlive #infotech #conference #hilton #hotel #technology #learning #road #trip #travel #travelphotography #travelgram #monochrome #photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #google #pixel2 #teampixel #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: