Saturday, March 14, 2020

Watching the waves roll in, briefly

Another fleeting moment among many
Cocoa Beach, FL
December 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram
The irony of sharing this photo today, calming as it may be, is it'll probably be a while before I can return to this place for a followup shot.

It's in Cocoa Beach, just south of the place where rockets - soon once again with humans aboard - leave the planet. As beaches go, it's as good as it gets, and I wish I had spent more than a furtive hour there before we jetted off to our next adventure. Some places deserve more time, more mental room to just absorb, and this is most certainly one of them.

Yet with the COVID-19 virus going viral around the world, governments everywhere - including Canada's - are rightfully advising citizens to avoid unnecessary travel. So this beach will probably be a distant dream to many of us for quite some time. No more lingering in the early-morning surf for me or any other Canadian.

Snowbirds - Canadians who spend the winter in Florida - could theoretically still cram in a few more sunrises before they, too, must head back home. Yet they face their own form of uncertainty as they try to a) arrange travel home at a time when such arrangements can be difficult-to-impossible, and b) figure out what they'll do when they get home. This on top of already being in one or more high-risk groups and possibly already grappling with any number of other health issues.

Like my late father used to say, everyone's got tsuris* (Yiddish word for troubles), and everyone else's tsuris is probably worse than our own.

So for now I'll comfort myself that my biggest challenge revolves around spurious shortages of everyday goods (which, let's be honest, isn't much of a challenge to begin with) and the fact that I can't spend more time standing by the ocean with sand between my toes.

I think I'll survive.

#cocoa #beach #cocoabeach #florida #fla #atlantic #ocean #road #trip #travel #travelphotography #travelgram #vacation #explore #sunrise #waves #water #photography #Nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #dslr #zoom #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: