Sunday, March 08, 2020

Where I defy death for the shot

Standing on the wrong side of the road
London, ON
March 2020
This photo originally shared on Instagram
Do NOT attempt this at home.

In other words, don’t stand in the middle of a quiet North London road five minutes before midnight so you can take artsy-esque photos of the pavement. This is not what responsible adults do.

And yet, this is precisely what I did last night as I waited beside a university building to pick our daughter up. She was participating in a Relay for Life cancer fundraiser, so there I was in the dark, attempting to fill a few quiet moments with some offbeat photographic exploration.

I was out there for barely 5 minutes before she came out, so I only had enough time to grab a couple of quick frames. We talked about it on the way home, because when your kid is a better photographer than you, there’s always something new to talk about.

Which largely explains why I found myself taking pictures in the middle of a darkened, silent road. Because I never want to forget what it was like to pick my kid up. Because the pictures I take are mere placeholders for the moments I wish we had more of.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #519london #519ldn #519shooters #random #urban #waterloo #street #night #photography #old #north #parenthood #google #pixel2 #teampixel #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

1 comment:

Tabor said...

That is so beautiful. They are placeholders and I sure wish I had a good camera back in the olden days.