Saturday, August 28, 2021

Google vs. Sesame Street - a Best Buy story

Fun with technology in public
Boynton Beach, FL
December 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram


I miss a lot of things about pre-pandemic life. Having a little bit of innocent fun with the display computers in big box stores definitely ranks high on my list.

Exhibit A: The Best Buy in Boynton Beach, Florida, the day after Christmas 2019. If memory serves, I needed a cable. Or maybe that was just my flimsy excuse to visit the computer section - it's like a candy store to me.

After I found what I needed, the demo machines loomed like beacons of giddy opportunity. As background, I've been attracted to these display units like a moth to a flame ever since I was a child. I'm just old enough to remember the earliest machines, and spent many afternoons messing with whatever the local Radio Shack happened to have on display that day. TRS-80 Model III for the win, kids! Yes, I'm ancient.

We're way beyond impromptu in-store BASIC programming - 10 PRINT "something only a 10-year-old would say" | 20 GOTO 10 - these days, but you can still have fun with the Google command line.

As you can see here, apparently the algorithm has a drug problem with Sesame Street, and I'm betting it's Ernie's fault. He always seemed a little shady.

#boynton #beach #boyntonbeach #florida #fla #throwback #road #trip #travel #travelphotography #travelgram #vacation #explore #towncenter #mall #retail #shopping #bestbuy #store #random #abstract #photography #google #pixel2 #teampixel #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins

No comments: