Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Rolling into Parkhill

Flowers on main street
Parkhill, ON
August 2021
This photo originally shared on Instagram


The road beckoned, so I listened.

I’ve been ranging ever further from home on the bright orange machine, and it was time to stretch my legs just a little further. #Parkhill popped into my head the other morning as I got ready to head out, and I couldn’t come up with any rational reason to say no.

This picture-perfect town 40-ish kilometres northwest of home has long been a place we drive through, not to. The road to the beach at Grand Bend rolls right through the center of this historic place, and for years I’ve been telling myself I need to stop in someday.

This Saturday became my someday. And soon enough I was pedalling into a stiff headwind, the tall corn stalks singing loudly in the fields on either side of the arrow-straight regional highway that connected here and there.

Kayak-topped SUVs on their way to the beach gave me ample room as they sped past. Horses and cows grazed quietly in their pastures, and every second farmhouse seemed to have its own barking dog to add to my road trip soundtrack.

Somehow, the new bike makes rides like this feel effortless - just gear down, spin, and feel the road in your fingertips - and before long, I coasted onto the tree-lined main drag and looked for a quiet place to stop and recharge for the back half.

The historic storefronts reflected the snippets of life playing out up and down the street, families fetching groceries, dogs being walked, kids taking their first steps. I couldn’t stay long before I had to turn for home, but I was here just long enough to plant the seeds for my next visit.

Some places just get into your blood that way, even when they’re far from home.

#north #middlesex #county #ontario #canada #cycling #cyclist #cycle #bicycle #bike #cyclinglife #bikelife #instabike #orange #devinci #hatchet #gravelbike #random #roadside #photography #apple #iphone #iphone11 #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded

No comments: