Sunday, August 25, 2024

Helper dog

You gonna let me take a crack at that thing?
London, ON
August 2024
This photo originally shared on Instagram


A photographer is only as effective as the assistant who keeps things on an even keel during a shoot.

As may be apparent in this scene, my assistant lacks opposable thumbs. Come to think of it, her language skills are unclear, and I don’t think she knows how to shoot in manual mode.

But she helps in other, more subtle ways. She’ll quietly graze the grass beside me as I look around and ponder the possibilities. She’ll nose-bump the back of my leg when she thinks I need a moment of comfort. She’ll whine when she thinks it’s time to head home.

It’s weird to think that the mere presence of a dog can change the way we take photos - or, by extension, see the world - but I’ve come to believe precisely that.

The lack of opposable thumbs really isn’t a liability at all. In fact, it means she leans on her other priceless skills as she creatively figures out new ways to help her peeps.

Maybe we’re not talking about dogs at all.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #calli #callitheschnauzer #dog #dogs #actofdog #schnauzerpuppy #schnauzersofinstagram #schnauzergram #schnauzers #dogsofinstagram #instapuppy #jaycee #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photography


No comments: