Saturday, August 10, 2024

Cycling selfie

This is me
London, ON
August 2024
This photo originally shared on Instagram


I don’t take many selfies.

In fact, I hate pictures of myself, and one of the reasons I originally took up photography was because it allowed me to hide behind the camera - or the “right” side of the lens, as I once jokingly called it.

Yet every once in a while it dawns on me that I should probably have a recent pic somewhere. And just as often when I’m pedalling somewhere far from home, I’ll take a pic and send it home to my wife. Just because. So she knows I’m doing fine and having fun.

This wasn’t much of a ride, just a fast loop through some nearby neighborhoods on the old commuter machine, a frantic race to squeeze out a few bonus kilometres before the sun tucked in for the night.

As I took artsy pictures of my front rim framed by the wild grasses growing beside the bike path, I decided I liked the golden hour light, and snapped off this fast selfie before resuming the ride.

No reason beyond the fact that I was enjoying the moment, and serious face notwithstanding wanted to somehow freeze it in my memory.

Pictures don’t have to mean much at all. They just have to take us back to places and times we’d rather not forget.

As you’ve likely guessed, cycling serves up countless places and times. For me, anyway.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #cycling #cyclist #cycle #bicycle #bike #cyclinglife #bikelife #instabike #hydepark #selfie #goldenhour #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photography

Related:
The turnaround selfie, December 2021
Shadowy selfie, December 2021

No comments: