Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Thematic Photographic 91 - Monochrome madness


Some things were meant to be grabbed
London, ON, January 2010

I've chosen "Monochrome madness" as this week's Thematic Photographic theme because I've always been drawn to scenes that aren't kaleidoscopes of color. I tend to view color as a sense, and when it's taken away - well, let's say muted, because monochrome scenes do technically use color, only not as broadly - I think we lean more heavily on our other optical senses, like composition and texture, to understand and appreciate the scene.

This scene's a great example. I wasn't particularly thinking monochrome. In fact, this is a full-color image. But I was shooting at night under the sodium vapor lights of a nearly empty parking lot (London's Angelo's, if we're being specific) so the scene naturally had the color sucked out of it. I was content to stand in the bitterly clear, cold night until I got the shot I wanted.

Your turn: If you've got a monochrome picture or two in your collection, I hope you'll share it on your blog and then leave a link to it in a comment here. We'll be sharing monochrome-themed pics through next Wednesday. If you're new to the TP thing, please click here.

14 comments:

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Love this, Carmi. Monochrome fits quite well.

Cloudia said...

I often think of you as I pull out my camera to take a "strange" picture as others watch...



Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Ben said...

I took this shot of George Bergeron somewhere in the mid '80s while we were on a deployment to Camp Roberts, an ancient Army base outside Paso Robles California. I am a huge skeptic, and not at all superstitious...but this place was haunted! While we were playing cards, George's cot that he was sitting on rattled and shook along the floor a foot to his right, while ours did not!

http://bensgtusmc.com/pixelpost/

Catherine said...

Here are a couple of shots from our recent travels rendered in black and white - being taken in the early evening, they didn't have a great deal of colour to start with

Glennis said...

This is a toughie! I've got one up now!

http://doves2day.blogspot.com

sister AE said...

I decided to jump in this time!

http://havingwrit.blogspot.com/2010/03/tasty-monochrome.html

srp said...

This shot from Grand Canary Island was taken in full color... but it was almost chrome looking from the get go. I love the detail in the lion's head... monochromes are some of my favorite pictures.

In Like A Lion

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

My entry is from one of London UK's markets.

Here is Mine

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

kinda linked here
very useful starter for lots of thoughts.
thank you

Mona Sweden said...

Gorgeous! Love the light in this photo. Really worth waiting for.
My photo is from last spring. I love monochrome!

Mona Sweden said...

Here is my second entry. I just love trees in the winter and early spring. It's very interesting to see the trees when they're naked. You can't study the texture of the trees and branches as carefully with their clothes on.

Catherine said...

Back for a second time round, these seal pups were just so cute I had to post a photo of them

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

in fact, i am staying with monochroime all week now.
thanks carmi!

Glennis said...

I have another one up - pretty, I think.

www.doves2day.blogspot.com