Thursday, January 21, 2021

A cold moment by the tracks

To infinity and beyond
London, ON
January 2020
This photo originally shared on Instagram

A year ago today, I had just left the office and was walking to my car, braced against the bitter cold.

As I crossed the rail line on the edge of downtown, something in the sky made me stop. Maybe it was the color of the painted clouds. Or the whistle of the winds through the nearby buildings. Or the subtle reflection of the fading sun on the tracks as they stretched all the way to the treeline.

I thought the moment deserved to be remembered, so I pulled my smartphone out for a quick photo. As I composed the scene, I was approached by another worker bee, a stranger, and she asked me if I did this often.

I explained my weird photographic habit of capturing everyday, even trivial scenes. She said she had always wanted to do the same, but didn't have a good camera.

I asked her if she had a smartphone. When she nodded her head, I told her she had a camera better than most, and it's never about the equipment, anyway.

So she took her phone out and for a few seconds, we both captured the darkening sky before continuing on our way.

She thanked me as she left, and I remember hoping she had been inspired to use her phone as more than just a phone.

Because we all want to tell our everyday stories. And we all want to share them.

With that in mind, what's your next story?

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #random #rail #train #throwback #urban #street #landscape #photography #google #pixel2 #teampixel #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: