Friday, February 25, 2022

After the fall

Gravity's frozen aftermath
London, ON
February 2022
This photo originally shared on Instagram


You learn many things when you take a tumble on an icy sidewalk. Here are 4, in particular:
  1. People are fundamentally good: two women in separate vehicles pulled over and ran over to me to make sure I was OK. Wouldn't continue on their way until they were absolutely certain I was fine. I thanked them both more times than I can remember, and the second one said, "We’re all neighbors. We always watch out for each other."
  2. Technology is incredible: I wear a Garmin watch, and it has a fall detection feature that texts and emails a specific contact - with precise GPS coordinates - if it a) detects an incident, and b) you don't answer it within a predetermined timeframe.
  3. I owe my wife an apology: The notification from my watch scared the bejeebers out of her. She has the patience of a Saint.
  4. Our streets aren't safe: For a city in the middle of the so-called snow belt, we do a terrible job keeping the streets and sidewalks clear of snow and ice. It renders the streetscape virtually inaccessible to the disabled for large chunks of the year, which is inexcusable and unforgivable.
The good news is I'm fine. Shaken up a bit, but otherwise OK. This life thing doesn't come without the occasional bump and bruise, and I'm lucky this particular one had a happy ending, with a few learnings mixed in for good measure.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #random #street #night #snow #winter #weather #wx #photography #apple #iphone #iphone11 #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins

No comments: