Monday, February 26, 2024

The Marlboro Man hates recycling

Out of time
St. Laurent, QC
February 2024
This photo originally shared on Instagram


We find the craziest things in the shadows.

Like this crushed pack of Marlboros in the frozen corner of a crumbling parking lot, discovered as we got back into the car while running errands.

I was of two minds about it as I processed the scene in my mind.

As ticked off as I was at humanity’s tendency to indifferently ruin the planet, I was equally fascinated by the spontaneous appearance of a brand I hadn’t thought about in decades.

Curiosity won out as I crouched beside the open car door and fast-composed this bizarro still-life scene. My wife, bless her, patiently watched and waited in the cold as I played photographer behind the tattered Tim Hortons coffee shop.

Like every experience with her, I learned something from this one, too. That even in the middle of a dark day amid too many dark days, there’s life - however strange - to be found in the spaces where we normally wouldn’t look.

So we look anyway.

#montreal #stlaurent #quebec #canada #roadtrip #travel #parking #lot #winter #weather #wx #stilllife #photography #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded

Related:
Discarded cigarette, January 2018
Roadside smoker, May 2012
Marlboro Man, February 2012

No comments: