Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Pierced darkness


Exit door
December 2006

Walking back to the car, I caught a glimpse of light out of the corner of my eye. I hadn't noticed that steel door at the top of the stairwell when I first arrived a few hours before. It was still daylight then, and the door kind of faded into the background.

Now, bathed in an ethereal white security light, I found myself staring at it, fascinated by the way the oblique rays lit the door and the adjacent concrete wall. It almost reminds me of a bad gangster movie.

I didn't have my tripod with me, so I hand-held the shot, taking a few extra images just to be sure. I've been taking a lot of images in darkness of late. Long ago, night-time was off-limits to captivating photography. I always worried that the images would be dull. I'm starting to change my mind.

Your turn: Should I keep heading out at night?

15 comments:

kenju said...

Day or night, you always see the things we all ought to notice, but seldom do. Point your camera anywhere you like, Carmi, and we will enjoy and learn.

Anonymous said...

This looks like the door behind which the most scary thing is held captive. Isolated, alone, barren. Very compelling photo.

Anonymous said...

I agree with em. It is the door that you see it in the movies you cringe and say "no don't do it!"

Snaggle Tooth said...

You know you will!

This MUST be the "prison door"...
quite eerrie-

Anonymous said...

Let me think about it...
Um, ya!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love the pic Carmi. Keep them coming!

SzélsőFa said...

Absolutely. It freaks me out.

But don't do it all the time :))

Carli N. Wendell said...

I agree, it's very film noir. You should continue to take pictures at night, but do be careful, please, of what lurks in the dark.

Anonymous said...

I also came to look at the pictures! I love your attention of light and lack of it. This one speaks volumes.

srp said...

Yes, but..... gangster movie hits the nail on the head.... oh, yes and ghost stories and murder mysteries. Great pictures.... but be careful!

Kara said...

I love night shots...they can be so moody..

Anonymous said...

gangstalicious pic.

Who's behind the door? A bunch of thugs? Dr. Jekyl? A nasty holding cell for loan shark victims? Tony Soprano's uncle? Nah......just one-eyed Mike Wazowski. My he sounds a lot like Billy Crystal.

Anonymous said...

Keep it up, night photography is the most satisfying I find. Maybe its the creative aspect or its just the surprise of what the camera is really going to tell when you look at the final photograph. Alx.

Anonymous said...

most definitely! I have been thinking about your long exposures lately, wondering when I will bring out my almost never used tripod and give it a try...

Anonymous said...

Wow.

Ok, so did that answer your question?