Sunday, December 31, 2006

Life is like a box of chocolates


Chocoholic's dream
London, Ontario, December 2006 [Click to embiggen]

The calendar tells us that we're about to hit another one of those once-a-year milestones that'll prompt predictable reflections on the year that's past as well as resolutions for the year to come. Before long, all of this wll be forgotten as we dig back into the routine of everyday life.

And when I feel I'm falling back into that relentlessly gray routine, I'll think back to this picture, to the moment when I took it, and the reason why colorful images like this can spark the imagination in ways that can't be predicted.

Over the past year, I've evolved this blog from one that's been primarily focused on writing to one that peers more deeply into my evolving passions of photography, journalism, and technology analysis. My camera has become an everyday companion - and a day on my blog isn't complete without a new picture to share.

On the work front, I ratcheted up the media thing - getting onto the CBS Evening News last summer and being in the middle of the exploding laptop battery controversy was a serious highlight for me - and left a whole lot of career doors open for myself.

I wrote, I captured, I enjoyed the journey. And I got to share it all here and, in the process, I met some genuinely kind, intelligent, good folks. If you're reading this, thank you for sharing in my crazy husband's/dad's/writer's/photographer's/cyclist's world. I'd do this anyway even if I didn't have an audience. But a party is always more fun when the room is full, and I very much appreciate your making this such a rich experience for me.

As in past years, I'm making no new years resolutions. I'm a daily-resolution kind of person, and as this day ticks into the next, I resolve to seize tomorrow just as I seized today and yesterday.

The journey isn't always comfortable or safe, but it's unique to me, and I'd change nothing if I had to go through it again. I'm blessed beyond description - a beautiful wife, three healthy, smart and squabbling kids, a comfortable home, a challenging and rewarding career, and a strong sense of control over where our life goes from here. I'm not filthy rich (yet) but I suspect that few financially rich folks are as pleased with their lot in life as I am with mine.

I hope that in 2007, my wife and I get to grow everything we've managed to build thus far. And I hope you'll continue to share in the journey by reading my blog and leaving your thoughts along the way. May 2007 be a blessing to you and everyone who matters to you.

Your turn: What's going through your mind as 2006 segues into 2007?

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mind is filled with much that you shared. I'm incredibly blessed with all that I have. Each year I treasure the moments even more, I want to learn new life lessons, meet new people and keep on enjoying this wonderful journey we call life.
Here's wishing only good things for you, Carmi, in the coming year. I've enjoyed both your photos and your words very much and I look forward to your entries for '07.
Michele sent me this time.....

srp said...

Here from Michele.

Yes, Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're going to get. If I reflect, it is way back to New Years 2003 and how I had no idea how dramatically my life would change by New Years 2004. I try to keep looking ahead and with some good fortune, 2007 will be a time to get back into the right groove..

I will still carry my little camera in my purse (to circumvent the evil Walmart camera police) but for the planned events and "non-driving" events, I have a new toy... and my excitement overflows!!! This is courtesy of my younger brother who is the absolute best! So, my New Year reflection has become more of a "let's move on to the new now" bit of excitement and as such I wish you and your beautiful family all the best. Who knows? By the end of 2007 there may be five brilliant Levy photographers walking, biking and capturing memories!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

A new year, a new computer soon to be put in (when an engineer comes in). 2007 is indeed new. A blank canvas about to be painted by events.

Happy New year.

Michele sent me this way.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Deja vu...Michele has sent me back.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!!

Snaggle Tooth said...

I just thought: Yes, you ARE very rich!
Your sharing makes it so- so many fans! Thanks for the words n pics!

I'm about to go to work soon, New Year's Eve, n get to work tomorrow, too- No fun for me (yet)! I resolve to find more of that, very soon.

I just wish for a better job that let's me visit with my children n their children for holidays.

Happy New Year to you n your family!

Anonymous said...

Hey Carmi!!

Here's wishing you and your family and incredible 2007. Although, knowing you, you will have a spectacular year!

Have a great time with your kids tonight -- Some of my fondest memories were with my parents as a kid on New Years Eve. Good times!

Thanks for all your kind words recently -- It's friends like you that make this world such an amazing place to be.

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

My sentiments mirror yours. I posted a reflection piece on my blog, and my wishes for the coming year are general, genuine and sincere. This year past has been miraculous on so many levels that it hardly seems possible that the next can equal it. But it is due to the success of 2006 that I know 2007 can surpass it.

Your site, Carmi, has quickly become one of my favorites. It was truly a happy coincidence (if you believe in such things) that I came upon it. It was, like so much else of late, exactly what I needed exactly when I needed it.

Happy New Year!

Mike

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Carmi, my dear...I wish everything for you that you would wish for you and your dear wife and family...PLUS!
I hope 2007 will be the Best Year Ever for you, my dear...in everyway. One of the joys of blogging, my dear Carmi, was meeting you and visiting you whenever I can! And keep on "snapping" those unique fabulous pictures, my dear!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing so much beauty over the year.

And icy chocolate thingees...wanna slide one of those over too? :)

Anonymous said...

You have a wonderful way putting it all in something for us to read.

Good luck, happiness, love, and peace to you and yours in 2007, Carmi!

Anonymous said...

Carmi, this evening I reached into a cyber treasure chest and managed to pull out three gems. One of them is your blog site.

I am looking forward to reading your past posts and those that will land here in the future.

I wish you and your family a Happy New Year and a blessed 2007!

Anonymous said...

It's all on my blog, so I won't re-type it here.

Happy New Year!!!!!!

Catherine said...

What's in my mind is that change is small and incremental - I like your comments about how you approach each day. I didn't make all the big goals I had for 2006 - in 2007 I want to focus more on individual days and less on the big picture. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Carmi, and to your family as well. I've so enjoyed reading your blog and seeing your photos, and felt so guilty about never using my own camera, that my first resolution this year is to use it more, even if the pictures suck at first.

Coming to your blog always inspires me.

Thank you for that.

Anonymous said...

I love visiting your blog. Your writing and your photography are fantastic! I hope all your dreams of the new year are realized.

And I hope 'embiggen' is the word of the year for 2007!!

Linda said...

oh...those YUMMY ice cubes! They are my favorite, thanks for showing them, as I don't have anyplace to get them!

Thanks for sharing your images and challenging me to use my mind, eye and heart in photography more.

Anonymous said...

Carmi, I wish you and your family a Happy 2007. Like you, I like to find joy in the simple, oft-overlooked moments of life.

All the best this year! :)

Dawn said...

Carmi! I just got in from a 10mile run and then I see your picture. Glad I ran BEFORE:)

I am honored to "know" you through this space and place we share and journal. I have read..then laughed, and been touched, and spoken to by what you have written here. I am glad I came across you and your space.
Thank you for your words and photography.
Here's to another new year ahead...and opportunities unknown awaiting us.
Happy New 2012 to you and your family!