Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Quoted - Globe & Mail - The Year Ahead

It's been a while since I posted links to my "other" life, the one that says I'm a tech analyst who, when not writing about geekdom, chats about it with journalists from near and far. I've been too busy to post the links here, but if you search for me in Google News, you'll see what I've been up to.

Got some good news today: I've been rather extensively quoted in the Globe & Mail for a piece that looks ahead to 2007. It's entitled A year for launches from the big guys and it was published in the special Globe Outlook 2007 section.

The sub-head is: Apple could turn the PDA world on its head, and Microsoft will finally get serious about security. Byline is Simon Avery, the paper's technology reporter. It was also included in the paper's print edition (page E2). That link is here.

I'll hang out here while you read it. Take your time: our furnace's pilot light blew out last night and I'm too much of a chicken to re-light it (yes, natural gas frightens the bejeebers out of me.) So while we bury our kids in layers of excess clothing and turn it into an overnight adventure before the repair folks get here tomorrow, I'll make a giant mug of tea and hang out on the blog. Say hi when you check back in.

Your turn: Do you agree/disagree with my predictions? Why/why not? Do you have any other cold house survival tips? Do you have any idea why my technological wizardry can't extend to the furnace room?

7 comments:

Carli N. Wendell said...

I love Google's new spreadsheet, although admittedly, it is harder to manage than EXCEL. . . but I love the idea. I have been using Google Notebook to organize ideas at work and think it's a godsend. I can't wait to see more apps online. This has been a long time coming.

As for Vista. . . I'm a Mac user, but I would consider switching if Vista actually delivers on its promise of security. I lost my last pc to some nasty spyware.

And as for your furnace. . . I have my heat at 65 because I'm terrified of mine. I have been wearing my old Mets sweatshirt pretty much every night, and never go to sleep without socks. And if there's the slightest problem or noise or smell, I call the gas company and put on my best, "I'm a stupid woman, what do I know" attitude. Good luck with yours.

srp said...

Cold house tips for natural gas heat.... depending on how old your furnace is, you might have them check and make sure there are no leaks. Mine went out and I thought it was just the pilot light. Turns out it was a leak that blew it out. I replaced the furnace with a new model that has electronic ignition and a much better thermostat. My gas bills went down significantly and that $15 -$20 a month bill in the summer simply from the pilot light.... goes away.

Now I will go read the report.

Snaggle Tooth said...

Cold in the house tip - Sorry so late... remember this in the am-

I heat kettle water (tea) n put in into glass jars, cover with lid, then wrap with a small towel n put them in the bed, chair corners, or hug it- stays warm for hours- economical- saves on the heat bill.
-

Good luck !
Someday I'll get a PDA...

srp said...

Symantec and McAfee are mentioned in the report. Do you have an opinion on Trend Micro... PC-cillin?

Snaggle Tooth said...

I've been doing Semantic, n getting rid of bugs n malware all the time. Still refuse to do at-home online banking because of security probs. So yes, security Co's with Win-competion will be an issue to watch-
good article-

Anonymous said...

It's too complicated for me - sorry. But I'm impressed at the google news results. You've been busy!

Bobkat said...

Hope your boiler is now getting sorted out. In case it's not adn your kids are cold then a good way to keep them warm is indoor camping! I'm not kidding, if you cna pitch a tent in your lounge or their bedroom they can sleep in it and the small space wams up quicker then the large room and stays warm too :-) I'll come back adn read your report.