Tuesday, August 15, 2006

More exploding laptop craziness

Busy day at work, so I don't have a whole lot of time (the fact that I'm even posting this while I'm at work should be illuminating.)

There's a chance that I'm going to be on the CBS Evening News tonight (OK, pause to let impending wave of hysteria pass. There. Let's continue.)

Dell announced it was recalling 4.1 million laptop batteries, which set up a perfect storm of followup for our media activity last month (see here, here, here, here, here and here for more background.) We released an updated press release - Dell Computer Battery Recall Highlights Need for Action by Computing Industry says Info-Tech Research Group - and then the fun began.

In addition to the CBS hit (!) I've been interviewed by the New York Times, the L.A. Times, CTV, CTV NewsNet, and CFRB, among others.

I'll post links and stuff later on. Back to interviews...

Update @ 8:40 p.m. OK, it was on CBS. It seemed somewhat surreal to be watching a clip of myself on American network television. I've been on television before, but this seemed completely otherworldly. Does that make sense?

The piece is available from the CBS News web site. Click here to go to the Video Archives page, then scroll down to Computer Battery Recall. Click the Play button - I suspect you'll need Real Media playback software installed on your PC.

More web content on CBS: the network has uploaded an extended clip of me talking about the issue. From the link above, select CBS Evening News, then scoll down to Laptop Hazard. The original report by Cyntha Bowers, Computer Battery Recall, is also available from this list.

The CTV NewsNet piece with Dan Matheson aired late this afternoon. The article on CTV's site is Dell recall stems from production flaw: experts. An updated link is here. The link to the video can be found here. I've added the video link to the sidebar as well, and will add more as they become available online.

Update @ 9:05 p.m. Marketplace - an American Public Media program - aired a piece entitled Is your laptop safe? The previous link is to the script. The link to the sound file (Real Media format) is here. The reporter was Janet Babin.

Update @ 11:18 p.m. CTV News has aired the piece by reporter Jed Kahane. The direct link is here. They've also placed a link to it on the article page and consolidated their content with the NewsNet material. They also tossed in a picture of me. Isn't that neat?

More stuff...
I'll keep adding as it hits the Net, so check back soon. I promise I'll make it fun.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! I just saw you on TV! Good job! :)

Anonymous said...

you were already on? i didn't see it, i'll watch the late news and look for you, congrats!!!

Karen said...

OMG! I missed it - DARN! Please post it on your blog so that I can see it. And here I was in the kitchen making cookies and such, watching "Because of Winn Dixie" because nothing else was on. Way to go, Carmi!!!

Can we say that we knew you before you were famous?

Malinda777 said...

You're getting famous! Don't forget the little people :)

LK said...

Good luck with the interview. My husband has just bought a new laptop so I'm inheriting the old one. It's a Dell.. yeeha.

Anonymous said...

Yes, as soon as I heard the report this morning - I thought about you and low and behond - there you were on live television. "Superstar!"

Was this the "Potential Miracle?"

You did the footwork didn't you? Now you see the fruits of your labours.

Peace
Jeremy

Anonymous said...

Hey! I wish I had Canadian tv!
Glad I have an HP laptop!

Jennifer said...

Wow!! I know somebody famous!! Can I still call you Carmi? Or do we all have to call you "Mr. Levy" now? Do you give autographs?
Hasn't been on the news here in Middle TN...yet...will keep watching :) Have enjoyed watching the clips online!
And, thankfully, my Dell battery isn't affected by the recall...*whew*

scrappintwinmom said...

Dude! I SAW this! I immediately recognized your name and I was like, "I know him!!" That's awesome - congrats!

musingwoman said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who posts from work. :-)

And congrats on the CBS broadcast!

Star said...

International fame. I watched the clip. Good job! Congratulations!

Rene said...

Cool, saw your name in L.A. Times this morning. No exploding laptop batteries here although one of the turkey sausages I was cooking this morning did pop and sprayed turkey juice all over the stove.

utenzi said...

Congratulations on getting more state-side exposure, Carmi. I'll watch the clip from CBS when I get home tonight since I don't have speakers at work. You've been getting a lot of exposure in "the other media" lately. I hope this doesn't tarnish your credentials as a print journalist!

Steph said...

I'm so sorry I missed the telecast, but I will definitely click on the link and catch the video. Way to go! :)

Anonymous said...

How cool. This is fascinating stuff. I've noticed that throughout the years, each laptop I bought was more powerful -- but also hotter and hotter to the touch. I can hardly keep my current Dell on my lap. I'm not surprised that this is all coming out.

French said...

After running the first exploding story in June, my son asked every day through mid-July if I had found any other research 'as good as that exploding computer story'. He finally gave up. It's one of my all time favorite summer research headlines. Another is from Parks Associates last August, "Look Ma! My Cell Phone Kills Mosquitoes"...

Unknown said...

Congratulations Carmi! This was excellent work and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, when I saw it on TV I thought, "Well mine is an IBM Think Pad". But I guess none of us are invulnerable. First cell phones, now this. Excellent reporting, my friend. Now I can say, "Oh yeah, I know Carmi!" :)

YellowRose said...

Very nice work Carmi! And you look very nice on camera I might add! ;)

We just bought my daughter a Dell laptop for her graduation present...great!! LOL

Sarie said...

wow awesome!!!

My battery was recalled. First time anything I've owned has been recalled. So they are sending me a new one.

Les Becker said...

I've gone to the CBS online news several times since catching your clip on the tv... I really have to say that, much as I respect that you've been warning us all about this for all this time, it's not some sort of vindictive pride I have of you that makes me keep hitting the play button on your clip over and over... it's that girly little thrill: "I know that guy! I know that guy!" Okay, okay... "I know that guy's blog!!"