Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Quoted - San Jose Mercury News (!)

As part of my day job, I am often asked to share my thoughts on all sorts of technology-related issues. From BlackBerry lawsuits to Microsoft Windows Vista, reporters looking for an analyst's perspective often give the analysts at my firm a buzz. As part of this process, my company often sends out press releases that also shed light on tech issues we feel matter to today's businesses.

Every once in a while, we get quoted in some really, really cool places. I've been in the New York Times, the Washington Post, and the Houston Chronicle. I've been on radio and on television. Yesterday, I was quoted in the major daily in the middle of the Silicon Valley: The San Jose Mercury News.

To most folks, this is a yawner. To a geek, it's a bit more exciting. The piece is called 81% of you: Have a fun vacation, but stay in touch. The piece is bylined by a range of SJMN columnists: Dean Takahashi, Michelle Quinn, Elise Ackerman and Matt Marshall. It's part of the release we sent ot last week (read about it here.)

If I'm doing a happy dance, please forgive my exuberance.

Your turn: You're on vacation...are you checking your e-mail and voicemail? Are you afraid if you don't?

8 comments:

kenju said...

I am not afraid not to check it - but I might miss a golden opportunity if I allow myself not to stay in touch. I am my own boss, so I have only myself to answer to if I miss an important call or email.

Karen said...

Gosh, that's such a crisis in our society today. Everyone is TOO accessible. I have a friend who has 5 children and is a stay-at-home mom. She PURPOSELY leaves her cell phone at home sometimes because she doesn't want to be found. We spend all this time filling out emergency forms, but never allow anyone to use them!

Well, that's the stay-at-home-Mom opinion!

Karen said...

Oh, and great quote, by the way! You SHOULD jump up and down!

Star said...

It depends. On a beach getaway to the CArribean we leave all communication devices behind. But we usully sek out an internet cafe to email the kids (all grown and on their own) just to say hi. WHen we went to Japan we took mthe laptop to upload the days photos and I did some posting.

Young Lady said...

when I go on vacation I am constantly thinking of my emails and blogging friends and theres so much I want to say if only I could get to a computer, but by the time I get home I am thoughtless, and think what a poor fool I am afterall, lol, need a laptop...........

mattviews said...

It depends on *where* I'm going. For my transpacific excursion to Asia, neither do I ever check my message at home nor my voice mail on my cell. In fact I would record a vacation greeting message and tell people *not* to leave anything as I won't check the messages.

Someone mentions how we're being overly accessible these days--with the PDA, blogs, e-mails and such--no matter where are we are just a click away. Okay I have succumbed to checking e-mails especially when I was in Thailand for 2 months and I had to let people know I was ok.

Jeff said...

You left CwC out of your list of cool places you've been quoted. 'Sniff.

lol :)

Anyway, I check my e-mail daily while on vacation, but very rarely will a respond. I feel no pressure to do so. For me though, e-mail is a drug. I need my fix. I'm an addict. Admitting I have a problem, that's the first step.

Sandy J said...

I always say I am going to check while away, but usually start having so mcuh fun, I don't worry about it.

But I miss reading the blogs!