Saturday, August 14, 2010

Pause for slight technical adjustment

I generally don't discuss geek housecleaning issues on the blog, but this one's affecting everyone who leaves a comment. So I'm going to make an exception.

The issue is an odd one: Visitors leave comments. The comments subsequently disappear.

I know this because I get an e-mail every time someone leaves a comment. Over the last few days, I've noticed an increase in the number of "I thought I already posted this..." type comments.

Clearly something's wonky. Clearly I need to descend into the depths of Blogger geekitude to figure it out. For now, I'll repost comments from e-mail - not the most elegant solution, but at least your words won't end up in oblivion. Thank you for your patience while I work this through and move toward a permanent solution.

Your turn: If you also use the Google/Blogger platform and have noticed something similar, I'm all ears.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, thank goodness. I thought I was going nuts. I'm so glad that it's a real issue and not my mind playing tricks on me! :)

kenju said...

It has happened to me too, and I thought it was my old computer playing tricks. Sometimes people (me) forget to fill in the word verification, and leave before noticing that.

Tracie Nall said...

I have had this problem too. It must be something wrong with blogger and not our blogs. I have also had this problem leaving comments on a few other people's blogs.

Amanda Moore said...

I would give you my thoughts on this problem but will they just disappear? LOL!

Mojo said...

I haven't had this problem myself (that I've noticed), but other people I know have. At least, I haven't had it on an ongoing basis. I did have one post a while back where all my comments vaporized. Weird thing was, the count still showed the correct number of comments. So my guess is that they were actually there, just that the links were broken.

The one person I know of that has reported having the problem on a fairly regular basis says that hers will "magically" re-appear after a time. But there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it.

The Blogger Help Forums show this as a "Known Issue" but apparently nobody at Blogger has an answer (yet) either.

carmilevy said...

I think I figured it out: without so much as an announcement, Google/Blogger implemented spam filtering on comments. So when I finally discovered it in an obscure corner of my admin interface, I came face-to-face with a huge list of comments that were nastily - by the technology, not by me - relegated to the tech equivalent of purgatory.

I've approved them all, and from the looks of things, they're all where they should be. I'll keep a close eye on the spam thing in future so that they can be published to the blog without delay. Thanks for your patience!