Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Time to make the donuts


Thirsty?
Delray Beach, FL, December 2009
About this photo: We close out Thematic Photographic's orange-themed week with this moment from a quiet afternoon spent, alone, with my wife at the end of the planet. New theme launches tomorrow (Thursday) at 7 p.m. It isn't too late to share your own here.
Dunkin Donuts doesn't have much of a presence in the Great White North. For reasons that still defy logic, Tim Hortons rules here, and Dunkin remains the place we go to when we head south of the border.

It's a small thing, this. It's only coffee, after all. And considering the fact that coffee is more a caffeine delivery vehicle than a source of perpetual delight - well, to me, anyway - the brand name on the cup really shouldn't matter to me.

But it does. Because it's something my wife looks forward to whenever we're away from home. And if it matters to her, then it matters to me, too.

Your turn: What's the appeal of a place like Dunkin, or Tim's, or Starbucks, or...? Or is it simply masterful marketing that turns us into drone-like caffeine addicts?

8 comments:

Marilyn & Jeff said...

I think I must be one of the rare ones who isn't a lover of coffee, I am a tea drinker but don't mind going without that too. When away and travelling I am just as happy with water as anything else. There, I did tell you I was a rare one ;-)

Tracie Nall said...

Dunkin is good, but I am a Krispy Kreeme girl. For me the thing about a place like Starbucks is the perfect blend of the coffee and the sugar and other flavors. I could probably reproduce that at home, but I'm honestly too lazy to take the time to get it just right.

fredamans said...

I couldn't imagine drinking anything other than Tim Hortons. Besides the fact it's an iconic Canadian establishment, it is where I get a decent and cheap cup of coffee. Starbucks is over-rated and Krispy Kreme is spread too thin.

daisy said...

You tickle me with how much you love your wife and speak of it. I think that's the real reason I come here every day. It's so sweet..like the dounuts.

Yolanda said...

I am a Tim Horton's fan - You tell them how you want it, and they fix it for you that way. Starbuck's doesn't do that! We have Tim's in Ohio and Michigan, and is always a treat when I am in Canada!

sage said...

as soon as I looked at the picture, I asked myself, "Not Hortons?" THen I read your post!

rashbre said...

I like those little doughnut making machines at the seaside, where you can see the dippin' doughnuts being made.

The doughnuts it produces are only 5cm across and sometimes have a hole int he middle. No jam inside or frosting, but very yummy.

MorahMommy said...

I do love the dunkin but I am truly and timmy's girl at heart!!

Ummm, now I want a cup of coffee!! :D

xoxo