Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Shadows in the sky


Signs from above
London, ON, July 2010
About this photo: We're winding down Thematic Photographic's week of shadows, and will be launching a new theme Thursday evening. If you'd like to contribute your own shadowed vision, head this way.
This isn't the first time I've pointed my camera skyward and tripped the shutter (see here, here and here for earlier examples) and I'm willing to bet it won't be the last, either. There's just something soul-stirring about losing yourself in what's going on overhead, and it never seems to get old for me.

I've often wondered why this is so, and the closest I can come to an explanation is this: It's a quick, easy form of escape. The world's a complex, busy, noisy place that often seems to be getting more chaotic by the day. For all the potential of humankind, dark souls continue to pollute the waters for the rest of us.

So taking a moment to stare into infinity and marvel in the beauty that's constantly playing out above our heads has become a nice way - for me, anyway - to counterbalance the less-than-inspirational, day-to-day minutae.

Your turn: How do you escape?

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Gorgeous photo!

I escape with words, creating other worlds and people and the stories that go along with them.

Cloudia said...

MMMMMMMMM!






Aloha from Honolulu :)

Comfort Spiral

Kay said...

what a beautiful shot!!!!

and you are so right... how often I do NOT stop too appreciate, with all the world going on around me, I fear to mistep should I stop to look up...

nice reminder... you captured it so.

CorvusCorax12 said...

I love this, beautiful