Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Thematic Photographic 108 - Shadowy


Eight ball, corner pocket
London, ON, June 2010

It isn't easy shooting artsy pictures in the middle of a busy collection of pool tables. Managers tend to want to know what you're up to. Players get annoyed if you get in their way. Even if you stick to the far-off corners of the room, it's the kind of activity that attracts attention, and not always the good kind.

But the late afternoon light slashing selectively through the room was too compelling to ignore. I knew I had about 15 seconds to get something before someone told me to stop. So I pre-set the camera as best I could, then walked up to the empty table and racked off a few frames before I chickened out and returned to the shadows.

Looks like I got away with it. This time.

Your turn: This photo launches our new Thematic Photographic theme, shadowy. For the next week, feel free to share shadow-themed photos on our own blog, then post a link here. As a bonus, visit other participants for more inspiration and sharing. Click here for more info on how TP works.

9 comments:

Mojo said...

Oddly enough, I've never had much of a problem with the camera gestapo unless I made the mistake of shooting a person. Other stuff, nobody's ever really seemed to mind. Or maybe they just don't want to risk running afoul of the guy in this shot.

Maude Lynn said...

Gorgeous on the green!

Cloudia said...

glad you didn't get roughed up, Carmi


Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

bripolo12 said...

I like this theme, playing with light (and shadows as the case may be)is always something I enjoy. I love the pool table, and also the story behind the pic, too funny. I am all too accustomed to the wierd looks and questions about what I am doing. Anyway, here is a couple pictures from a recent photofest I had with my boys. They are so much fun, and I thought the pictures fit into this theme quite nicely.

http://brianareynoldsphotography.blogspot.com/2010/07/favaorite-photo-friday.html

Prettypics123 said...

I like it!

fredamans said...

I really love shadow shots, and participate in a weekly meme with such a theme. I loved submitting this one for both your theme and my shadow theme.

http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2010/07/thematic-photographic-shadowy-shadow.html

hapzydeco said...

Being a morning person shot early on. This morning looked over the banister of the front porch to observe this shadow.

Gilly said...

I've cheated and posted two photos here

Glennis said...

My shadow photo is one I posted a couple weeks ago:

http://doves2day.blogspot.com/2010/07/bike-rack.html

Shadows in the daytime are equally compelling!