Monday, July 12, 2010

Duck, duck, goose!


Paired
London, ON, March 2010
About this photo: We're sharing family-themed photos this week as part of our Thematic Photographic extravaganza. If you're feeling extravagant in a familial manner, click here.
Families take on many forms, and from where I sit, it is the height of arrogance for humans to assume they hold exclusive ownership of the concept. (I'll duck now, before the conservative nannies among us take me to task. There, I'm good.)

It was a cold late-winter day when I came across these Canadian Geese (yes, the same species that brought down Captain Sully's plane and then hissed at my kids at the park, though not necessarily in that order) wandering across a decidedly family unfriendly road filled with 18-wheelers and not much else. There was a certain poignancy to the way they never strayed more than a footstep away from each other, seemingly ensuring each other's safety. Even when they took to the skies, they seemed to share the same slice of sky, almost afraid to fly solo.

If they don't represent family, then I suspect we may need to revisit our definition of the term.

Your turn: Unconventional families. Please discuss.

1 comment:

MorahMommy said...

I love that photo! Reminds me of us. :D
Who says that's unconventional. Since we moved away from home, our friends have become our family too.

Is that unconventional? Maybe...I call it special!

xoxo