Monday, July 19, 2010

Deep blue not-quite-ocean


Waves of reflection
London, ON, June 2009
About this photo: Thematic Photographic. Summer. Right here.
There's a certain hypnotic quality to watching waves, close-up, in a swimming pool. I first noticed this when I was a lifeguard way too many years ago. When things got quiet, I'd sit on the deck and just watch the shifting surface of the water. As my interest in photography deepened, I found the abstract, always-changing patterns to be great subjects for my lens. (Additional bonus: Water doesn't talk back.)

These days, I realize I haven't changed a whole lot from my younger, curly-sun-bleached-haired self. I still find myself looking down at the waves and I still wonder about the forces that create magically new compositions from one second to the next. If only more of us took the time to drink it in.

Your turn: What is it about waves that attracts and captivates us so?

3 comments:

Tabor said...

With waves it is the regular rhythm. With water it is the coolness and cleansing for me.

Anonymous said...

The blue in that picture is very soothing. And as Tabor has already said, I think the rhythmic quality has a lot to do with our attraction to waves.

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

maybe they enable us to remain in the moment

a lost art