Tuesday, June 28, 2011

On connecting with Steven Tyler

"Life is short. Break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that makes you smile."
Steven Tyler
I've never been a huge fan of the Aerosmith frontman. Perhaps that's a little unfair. I've never much fancied his music, so I've tended to shy away from learning anything about the guy beyond reading the occasional headline about his latest bout with rehab.

But here's the thing: Strip away the larger-than-life rock star persona and he's actually quite an inspirational human being. I think I need to look beyond my heavy metal prejudices a bit: I may learn something in the process.

Your turn: Have you ever been pleasantly surprised by someone you otherwise may have shied away from?

5 comments:

wagthedad said...

I think it's interesting that you've been a big fan of him but not really a fan of his music. Because Steven Tyler really isn't something to look at, and I had no idea that his quotes were so thought-provoking.

Don't get me wrong, I also think it's a good thing; "interesting" not being code for "strange," but I guess I could see that.

And I agree with the quote anyway, so thanks for starting my day with this!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

It's quotes like this that show there's so much more to Steven than the Toxic Twins and Sweet Emotion.

I love the dude.

Star said...

In the same vein, I read Keith Richards' book "Life" & was impressed by his insight & his ability to tell a story. While I realize he had help with the end result, it was still more than I expected. BTW- big Steven Tyler fan here.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I saw an interview on Steve Tyler, and I must say I didn't realize how soulful he was... Tho watching American Idol, he showed a bit of the soft side- compassionate side... I love his off the cuff phrases- they just blow me away.. When I was younger, I was surprised by a few that didn't fit the 'norm'.. what changed me was when my hubby and I went into a Bev. Hills art gallery and hearing the sales person mutter under their breath " well,don't be surprised who may have money'.... that comment was directed at me and hubby.. Granted we were in our 20's... It is sweet when we would inquire about a litho and more shocking when we would pay for it up front!... After a few purchases we were treated like royalty...

Kalei's Best Friend said...

BTW, I do remember an elderly secretary who looked very prim and proper.. She floored me one day when we were talking about someone at a business... out of her mouth came " well it serves him right, he's an ass". After that Claire and I were on the same page, it was if that comment was an ice breaker...lol