Monday, August 06, 2012

Curiosity lands safely on Mars

Don't have a whole lot of words right now, but suffice to say it feels wonderful to see the Curiosity rover safe and sound on Mars. For the official timekeeper-types among us, touchdown was 1:14:39 am EDT (0514 GMT). Initial analysis of the landing data by the flight team shows a virtually perfect mission. In Olympic terms, my friend Ben was right on the money: They stuck the landing.

Here's the first pic. Here's the second. And here's the third. (And there's even a montage.) From the rover itself (if you're not following it on Twitter, click here now.) NASA has compiled the first pics from the rover here.

Sometimes, the world can be a remarkable place, filled with some remarkable people. Tonight, we got to see into the world of some of the best there are.

Thoughts?

--
Update 1: I tweeted this just now, but I wanted to share it here. Since I asked you for your thoughts, it's only fair that I share mine, as well. Here goes:

Dear U.S. lawmakers:

Please send more money. This is how US will still lead the world. Otherwise, we're toast.

Thanks!

NASA

--
Update 2: Miles O'Brien, one of the leading space journalists anywhere, wrote this excellent piece on his blog. A must-read.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have few words myself. I am still in awe. Mostly, I am fascinated. Fascinated by the places humanity will go. Fascinated by the ease with which we mere mortals could follow the excitement. I truly felt like I was sitting in mission control with them, with the same access to data and results. All in real time. All from my modest laptop, in my modest cottage, on the tip of the Bruce Peninsula.

Thank you, NASA, for the access.

Thank you, friends (talking to you Levy!), for sharing it with me.

carmilevy said...

Anytime at all, Glenn. It is as remarkable an experience as it is because we get to experience it - and learn - together.

Here's to more coolness in our collective future!

Max Sartin said...

Hey, I just posted about the exact thing.
My thoughts went back to 9 year old me, watching Neil Armstrong make the first step on the moon.
The technology was completely different. Back in 1969, we watched on a black and white TV, and there were only three channels to choose from. You had to wait for the newspaper to come out before you had any pictures.
Today, I watched a life internet feed on my computer. I took screen captures as it was happening.
But the emotions were the same. Anticipation, fear, excitement and in the end, an amazed feeling of pride at what the human race can accomplish when we set our minds to it.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Dear NASA,

Sorry, but we get campaign contributions from rich people in exchange for giving money to them. You can't compete with that.

- U.S. lawmakers

Tracie Nall said...

I stayed up last night to watch it. It was amazing.