Monday, August 27, 2012

Don't let the afterburner grill you on the way out

Business end
London, ON
June 2012
Thematic. From behind. Here.


















Did I mention I'm a bit of a plane freak? I know this particular model is ostensibly designed to kill people. But in the right hands, it also protects my nation's borders, builds careers, sustains advanced industries and inspires the next generation to raise the bar. So let's call the CF-18 a force for good and leave it at that.

And it's unbelievably cool to walk slowly around it and look for just the right angle. I'm not entirely sure I was able to accomplish that on this day. But it was a lot of fun to just stand in this aircraft's shadow and drink it in.

Your turn: The appeal of flight. Why?

3 comments:

dean said...

Why? That question is as old as man, surely. Speaking personally, the appeal of flight is the freedom to move in three dimensions and be unrestrained by things like lanes, traffic lights, and fences.

The appeal of military air hardware, now - you don't have to be a pilot to appreciate military aircraft. There is a beauty to function, and military aircraft, particularly those designed to fly fast and hit hard, are beautiful machines.

I posted a shot from the recent air show that shows those big engines in action.

Patti said...

I still find myself astonished at the fact that we can fly. I consider how many generations of people never left their immediate surroundings ... or if they did it was a massive life-change.

We, on the other hand, just hop on machines, and are on a different part of the PLANET in a few hours. Then we come home (and complain about airplane food).

Wow.

Bernie said...

AND, not to mention, provides countless hours of enjoyment, yet amazement, as to its handling at airshow’s and the like... A formidable piece of machinery yes, but an art-form in flight...