Saturday, August 18, 2012

When the sky brings fear and promise

SkyActiv
London, ON
June 2012
Click here to share your own grey-themed vision. It won't hurt.




















Since moving to Canada's so-called Thunderstorm Alley, I've learned to enjoy the drama of a good storm. I feel a certain sense of comfort as the dark clouds roll in, almost as if they're closing in the otherwise infinite sky, like some sort of atmospheric blanket. The sky seems touchable, tangible, and even a little protective despite the fireworks that it promises to bring.

You knew I was odd, right?

Anyway. There's always a flip side to a good storm, a yin to the thunder and lightning's yang. And when, unexpectedly in the seconds before the clouds threaten to release enough water to float Noah's Ark, the sun comes out and lights the otherwise grey scene with a brilliance you couldn't even coax out of a purely blue sky, you know you've just witnessed something special.

What does this all teach us? A rumbling of thunder doesn't necessarily portend something to fear. Opportunity often lies in the otherwise hidden valleys, and it's up to us to look up - or in - to find it despite all that's swirling around us.

Your turn: Do storms scare you? Or draw you in? What do you like to do when you first hear the thunder in the distance?

5 comments:

Tabor said...

I often wonder if it has something to do with electrons lining up in our bodies readying us for the storm. We get that energy adrenaline rush.

Max Sartin said...

I love a good storm, we don't get them often enough here, and when we do they usually don't last more than a half hour or so.
When they do come, I like to sit out on my front porch and just watch and listen to them. Even with thunder and lightning, I find it relaxing.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

What's all this about rumbling?
~

mmp said...

i went to a local state boarding school for a few years in my teens. It had been a long and a troubled day,evening meal and homework with fifty others did nothing to calm my bad mood. But that night the clouds gathered, the skies darkened and a few of us stayed up to watch the lightening slash the sky and to listen to thunder crashing into our teenaged minds.

Forty years later night remains with me. Knowing that I am small and that nature as it surrounds us carries far more force than i had realised until then.

Dionna said...

I've always loved storms. There is a mystery to them.