Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Touched by the hand of God

Reaching for the heavens
London, ON
July 2012
Please click here to share your own cloudy vision



















Before we begin, the title of this entry refers to a New Order tune. Best. Band. Ever. Great writing music, too. Highly recommended. Now, let's get on with the show, such as it is...

Do you ever look at the sky and wonder what the hell is going on? We get a lot of active weather around here, a function of our location between two Great Lakes, our proximity to the abandoned factories of Detroit, and the recent addition of Bavarian Cream (sorry, I just can't spell it "creme") donuts to the Tim Hortons menu. Okay, maybe only the geographic reference is true. Forgive me: I'm punchy.

So as storms roll through the region, we get some spectacular cloud formations. Including this one, which completely dropped my jaw as I watched it develop high in the sky just to our east. Based on my admittedly amateurish read of the live radar data on my BlackBerry, this was the western edge of a thunderstorm that was boiling up and making life interesting for folks toward Toronto. I'm guessing they were a little too busy dealing with crazy winds and downed trees to appreciate the loveliness going on right at the storm's fringe.

Thankfully it wasn't raining where I was. So I took a stroll and tried to remember the experience with a few well-placed bits on a memory card. I still have no idea how this ethereal formation came to be, and maybe it's just as well. Maybe we don't need to know the root cause of everything. Maybe it's enough to stand on the sidewalk as we drink in the wonder of it all.

Your turn: Things you cannot explain. Please discuss.

5 comments:

Max Sartin said...

Beautiful clouds!

CorvusCorax12 said...

looks like a huge sand storm in the sky...just beautiful and a little freaky too

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Very nice, Carmi.

By the way, August 1 was Jerry Garcia's b-day.
~

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Incredible!

Unknown said...

It's a huge difference here in the Phoenix, Arizona desert where we've had three showers this year. It's very much a carbon-copy each day of sun, blue skies and high temps. I do miss variation from time to time.