Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Golden glow over the wetlands

Subtropical in the late afternoon
Delray Beach, FL
December 2009

Thematic. Warmth. Here.

Every time I come back to this picture, I'm taken by the light. It's a deliciously soft, deep south, late afternoon light that seems to almost paint the landscape in unforgettable richness.

The place where this was taken, a wetlands preserve in Florida, is undoubtedly stunning in its own right. But layer on the right kind of light and even beauty can be elevated to another dimension.

I'm guessing this effect could be replicated in PhotoShop. But would that really be the same? I don't think so. Because standing there just before I took the picture, I almost felt out of breath from the scene unfolding before me. It's color and tone that you can almost feel. And it makes me more than a little sad that I can't simply go back to that spot, on a simple boardwalk in the middle of this remarkable place, more often.

Maybe soon. Until then, this photo will have to do.

Your turn: What's your favorite reflective place? Why?

5 comments:

sage said...

Beautiful photo--enjoy the warmth of Florida!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Love it...no doubt there are plenty of happy froggies in there.
~

Cloudia said...

Warm!



Friendly Aloha from Honolulu,
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° >
> < } } ( ° >
> < 3 3 3 ( ' >

Anonymous said...

That is a stunning picture.
There are so many places to reflect. Usually by water is a good place; I suppose the water reflecting back your thoughts is as good a place as any to think about stuff...

Unknown said...

What a beautiful photo! I've been wanting to visit Florida for years now! I'd love to relax on their beautiful beaches!

I hope you enjoy your New Year!

♥Carrie
http://ilovebeingonline.com