Thursday, December 20, 2012

Railroaded

Not quite Thomas
London, ON
July 2012
Thematic. Industrial Disease. Here.


















Earlier this week, I was cruising to the office in the car, enjoying the dark solitude of the two-lane highway that stretches between London and Woodstock 45-ish km to the east. I love these early morning drives because they really give you the time to ponder the little mysteries of life that you just can't ponder in the middle of a hyper-busy day.

I wasn't going particularly fast, maybe 80 km/h, as I approached a railroad crossing that in my entire time driving this route had never been activated. I wondered if the line had been abandoned, and if so who was responsible for maintaining the uprights that still stood tall beside the road.

I guess my timing was just right, because suddenly, the lights lit up like a Christmas tree, flashing brilliant red as I approached. I was just close enough that I wasn't sure whether I should brake or continue. Stopping would have involved a near-panic stop, so I kept going. I was clear through the other side of Woodstock by the time the adrenaline levels in my body returned to normal.

I guess it was anything but abandoned. Something to keep in mind next time I take this road. Like, tomorrow.

Your turn: Things that surprise you. Please discuss.

4 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I was clear through the other side of Woodstock

Might need a bit of work...
~

Cloudia said...

it only takes a second, dear Carmi



Aloha from Waikiki, Cuz
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° >
> < } } ( ° >

Alexia said...

Very frightening! You take care of yourself, you hear?

shamraiz said...

I think Alexia is right because due to lots of snow and landsliding it is dangerous to use this kind of convenes.
www.abet-uae.com