Monday, December 10, 2012

Thematic Photographic 225 - Shadows

Lit by the setting sun
London, ON
March 2012



















Shadows aren't always the easiest optical phenomena to shoot. If you expose for the dark spots, you risk blowing highlights everywhere else. But dial down the exposure and your shadows could become featureless black holes. Oy, the can't-win feeling of stress.

But that's the neat thing about photography: you're always trying to figure out some sort of compromise. And if you do it right, you end up with a picture that makes you think. For the next week, shadows are our challenge. And much thinking will be done in the land as a result. Are you ready?

Your turn: Take a picture either of a shadow, or of something that evokes a shadow. Getting it right isn't the goal here. Enjoying the process, on the other hand, is. Post the shot to your blog or website, then leave a comment here letting everyone know where to find it. Visit other participants and feel free to post more contributions through the week. We won't complain if you bring along someone new, too. New to Thematic? Click here and all will be explained. Can't wait to see the amazing things you do with this theme!

12 comments:

dean said...

An interesting one this week - I was trying to decide whether or not we could make photographs at all if they were without shadows, and I decided that we could, but most of them would be less interesting.

The Italians have a word for the quality of the interplay between light and shadow - chiarascuro.

Anyway, here is my first shot at it.

Bernie said...

Carmi,

I am sharing this weeks Thematic Photographic, with my late wife's birthday... AussiePomm - Happy Birthday L and Thematic Photographic 'Shade'!!!!

Have a great day!!

Bob Scotney said...

Me and my shadows. http://bit.ly/TNwB6P

fredamans said...

I shared a new thing I got.

http://fredamans.blogspot.ca/2012/12/thematic-photographic-shadows.html

Glennis said...

Mine's up!!

http://doves2day.blogspot.com/

21 Wits said...

Amazing blue you captured, Carmi and your shadow just screams hello world, I am here and better than the thing I'm shadowing! Hahahaha! Here's mine

http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2012/12/thematic-photographic-225-shadows.html

Gilly said...

Here are my shadows - http://gillymaccsphotos.blogspot.com

dean said...

As you do, I continued with the theme this week. I think this one really fits the theme.

Alexia said...

Carmi - I like this picture very much, and also your second one for this theme, of the steps and railing.

My shadows and shades are here.

Morgan'sRevenge said...

Long time no participate! Last time was Lights On, thought this would be a perfect remit to jump back on!

Quite pleased with
these

Max Sartin said...

Sorry I haven't been participating the last few weeks, I've been working on a project and been totally exhausted from mid-terms and hyper kids these few weeks before the break. But I have enjoyed all the pictures everyone else posted. Good work folks.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I've got my shadows post up at last.
~