Monday, December 24, 2012

Thematic Photographic 227 - Warmth

Start the day right
London, ON
November 2012





















Here in the northern hemisphere, winter's just begun. Almost as if on cue, the temperatures are consistently below freezing, and the lawns are covered in white. Not a lot, mind you, but enough to remind us that heading outside to walk the dog is now a multi-stage process of finding and donning parkas, boots and woolies. Because a Canadian winter is nothing to be trifled with.

Which brings us to this week's Thematic theme, warmth. I chose it because it's something we feel more than we actually see. And when you're taking a picture, optics are nothing if they can't make others feel something.

Here's the mug of tea my wife made me yesterday morning. We were having a rare interval of quiet in the middle of a phase of life that's offered precious little of it for months. Most days, we wake up before first light, and don't stop until long after the kids are tucked in. There aren't enough hours in the day to slow down and savour the warmth of simply being. So when a quiet Sunday morning offered this rare commodity up, I reached for my camera.

For the next week, I hope you'll share photos that evoke a sense of warmth. Because the season - and the general state of the world - almost compels us to find warmth wherever we can. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Your turn: Take a photo that suggests warmth, then post it to your blog or website. Leave a comment here letting everyone know where to find it. Visit other participants' sites to share the joy, and feel free to repeat through the week. Thematic Photographic is our weekly photo sharing/exploration activity (extravaganza? Perhaps...) and anyone with any interest in expanding their photographic horizons is invited to play along. Follow your mouse here for more background.

11 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

Mulled wine, coffee or tea would be OK for me but I prefer the warmth in front of the fire or under the Mediterranean sun.
http://bit.ly/Yfj7m0

photodoug said...

Baby, it’s cold outside. Here is my warmth photo.

fredamans said...

Warms me up looking at it.... mmm.

http://fredamans.blogspot.ca/2012/12/thematic-photographic-warmth.html

21 Wits said...

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr! Quick please pass that so yummy looking cup of warmth my way- it's freezing here! My warmth is here

http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2012/12/thematic-photographic-warmth.html

Lisa Shafer said...

Nice pic. It looks so inviting.

Gilly said...

Well, I tried! Bit low on inspiration this week! http://gillymaccsphotos.blogspot.com

Max Sartin said...

A nice hot cup of tea, nothing better on a cold day, especially when you're nursing a cold, like I am today. Here's my warmth for a cold day.

Alexia said...

Christmas warmth? No, heat.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

How about some warm, happy puppies?
~

Kelsea said...

Some pictures of warmth!

http://glimpseoflightbykelsea.blogspot.com/2012/12/some-warmth-this-winter.html

smalltownme said...

I want to warm my hands on that! We had snow in California last night.

My warmth is something else. http://smalltownmom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thematic-photographic-warmth.html